SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-08, 12:49 PM   #1
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Cyclists - they're all the bloody same...

Quote:
Conservative leader David Cameron has apologised after being photographed breaking red lights and cycling the wrong way up a one-way street.

Pictures in the Daily Mirror newspaper showed the politician breaching traffic rules as he cycled to work.

"I know it is important to obey traffic laws - but I have obviously made mistakes on this occasion and I am sorry," Mr Cameron said in a statement.

But cycling groups defended him, blaming poor regulation and signage.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7308400.stm

So can we start blaming our speeding offences on poor regulation?
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-08, 01:05 PM   #2
Airfix

Angry Re: Cyclists - they're all the bloody same...

I know what would have happened if it was you or me on a motorbike, they would have thrown away the key.
Old 21-03-08, 02:15 PM   #3
Balky001
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cyclists - they're all the bloody same...

Yes, I think they should make an example out of him. I favour the removal of all braking systems on bikes caught going through a red light, that way they either peddle slower or don't chose which red lights to break, now that would be a nice shock for them for a change!

Cameron is so blaze about 'obviously I have made a mistake on this occassion'. Iw owuld have been refrshing if he'd said somethinh like 'yeah, I new what I was doing but couldn't care less. I'll use the green card on that one Bob'
Old 21-03-08, 02:22 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfix View Post
I know what would have happened if it was you or me on a motorbike, they would have thrown away the key.
It's hardly the same though... Pushbikes are slower and lighter, if you put one somewhere you shouldn't you can just pick it up and carry it away, if you hit someone at low speeds it barely matters... If you ride up a one way street on a motorbike and there's something coming the other way you're physically larger, heavier, and also you can't just get out the way as you can on a pushbike.

Obviously he shouldn't have done it from a legal position but when I cycle I use the exact same road traffic laws I do when I ride the SV- If it's safe, and the rules aren't going to achieve anything worthwhile, and if I'm not going to get in trouble, I ignore them. Or does nobody here ever speed, or pass white lines at traffic lights when filtering? It doesn't look like he put anyone at risk with the one-way ride, the bollard thing is a joke, and you don't get to see how far through that red light he went.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-08, 03:29 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

He is a pratt, its retards like him that give the rest of cycling a bad name. Its a minority of cyclists that do it, not the majority, but we all get tarred by the same brush.

The cyclists that defended him, are just as retarded as he is.

Makes me cross, gives those of us that do cycle on the road and obey the laws of the road ( like me ) a bad name.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-08, 04:01 PM   #6
FG1

Glass houses....................stones.................. ..???
Old 21-03-08, 04:17 PM   #7
Razor

Our next Prime Minister...
Old 21-03-08, 04:24 PM   #8
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
if you hit someone at low speeds it barely matters...
I disagree. Cyclists kill more pedestrian than motorcyclists. FACT.

There should be a CBT type test every year or so to make sure people are safe to use the roads. At the moment you dont need any road knowledge, need no form of licence insurance or tax. Its pretty terrable tbh.
Old 21-03-08, 04:41 PM   #9
Girth
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I disagree. Cyclists kill more pedestrian than motorcyclists. FACT.

There should be a CBT type test every year or so to make sure people are safe to use the roads. At the moment you dont need any road knowledge, need no form of licence insurance or tax. Its pretty terrable tbh.

With regards to that, people would'nt bothere taking a "CBT" because of cost and end up on public transport/Car?motorbikes etc and cause more pollution/traffic etc, you know where i'm going with this.

Can't believe someone of his stature would even consider doing such a thing like this, i've done a few red lights but only when its a constant straight road i.e not blazing through a junction.

Cameron has proved before that he is a total and no change there.

Thing is, people (not just cyclists) need education more on Cycle Safety but this would cost money which makes it a no win situation
Old 21-03-08, 04:46 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Its called a cycling proficency test, did mine when I was a kid, and why should I have to have a license.

I have a car and a motorbike license, I know the rules of the road etc etc why have to sit another test at more expense just to cycle on the road.

As for insurance thats a good idea, but I'm sure I'm covered in some way by my household insurance. If I get knocked off, be sure I'll be claiming off the third party though.

Trouble is all the press recently about RLJ etc etc has given cycling a bad name and now cyclists are seen a viable target minority by the great unwashed.

Its a shame its got like this, cycling if promoted properly would go along way to ease congestion in towns etc etc. Its just nobody wants to, because its so damn difficult to get people out of their cars. Also the cycle path infrastructure needs investing in as TBH some of the cycle paths are down right dangerous and poorly maintained.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote