SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-06, 09:52 AM   #1
Duck-man

Default Cleaning stuff

This is probably in the wrong section but..

What do you use to clean your exhaust system?

I have a stainless steel OEM can and normal exhaust system and want to clean it and make the can shiny again, but i dont know what to use.

Any ideas?

cheers
Old 06-10-06, 09:56 AM   #2
tricky

Autosol metal polish and plenty of elbow grease.

If your downpipe is particularly chatty, give it a good rub with some very fine grade wet'n'dry paper first and then autosol the hell out of it.

Old 06-10-06, 10:04 AM   #3
Mogs

I used "Brasso" it was under the kitchen sink and does the job.
Old 06-10-06, 10:06 AM   #4
Kate

Many people like using autosol and elbow grease, personally I prefer an easier way. I got something called 'Alloy Cleaner' by Comma from Halfords. You just spray, wait and then wipe off. It all goes very shiny!

Its pretty strong stuff, you'll need to keep it away from paintwork. Personally, I found it worked better than Autosol.
Old 06-10-06, 11:58 AM   #5
Well Oiled

I use a green scouring pad on the downpipies. Really quick and easy to do. Doesn't give the high polished effect of autosol but wht the hell - it's going to tarnish pretty quick anyway once it gets hot.
Old 06-10-06, 12:02 PM   #6
instigator

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

That.

When I got it to begin with I used sandpaper on it, wet and dry to rub the surface rust off it. Then used the polishing kit to do the rest. Polishing kits such as the one above are fantastic.

Everyone rants and raves about Autosol. I only ever use it in hard to reach places and even then it's only a finishing polish.
Old 06-10-06, 02:01 PM   #7
kwak zzr

people people the master is in the house

A U T O S O L ! ! ! ! !
Old 06-10-06, 02:19 PM   #8
cjt

In the food industry (stainless Kitchens) they use 2 things when taking photos ect.

1) baby oil. clean the parts and then wipe over with a thin layer of oil. (not sure if this will be great for a pipe!)

2) Ajax (the powder cleaner). take a hot rag covered in ajax and wipe it on the pipe, let it dry (it leaves a load of white crap) and then take a clean hot rag and wipe the stuff off. It comes up very shiny.
Old 06-10-06, 03:29 PM   #9
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
people people the master is in the house

A U T O S O L ! ! ! ! !
I don't get it. You have to really work hard to get anywhere with autosol but with the alloy cleaner you just have to spray and wipe.

*shrug*