SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-05, 01:48 PM   #1
kinesin

Default how long will it take 2 fit braided hoses and new pads?

Right.. I've had new pads and new HEL lines sitting at home for months.. - defo time to get them on the bike. So much so I've even asked my local bike place "how much would it cost to fit?"

Question is kids: how long is it's going to take for me to fit the pads/lines myself - oh and I've never touched the brakes before!

estimates please?
Old 21-04-05, 01:50 PM   #2
Cloggsy

How long's a piece of string

Go slowly & get it right, rather than rush it & **** it up
Old 21-04-05, 01:50 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

If a pro is doing it, then around 40 mins. Me, i can fit them in about 20 mins, then about 10 mins to bleed them, but im good ya see

Id expect an hour labour
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-05, 04:49 PM   #4
dclifford

I did them as 2 seperate jobs about a week between them. Somebody had mentioned on here that if the 2 of them are done toghether there can be a big difference in stopping power before and after. It could catch you out. Can't say if it made a difference. But it easier to focus on 2 small jobs than do the 2 together
Old 21-04-05, 06:52 PM   #5
Stig

If your name is DeeJay, probably all night until you have messed it up, and then you let someone else put it right in a few minutes. For everyone else should take no more than an hour or two.
Old 21-04-05, 07:17 PM   #6
PBx

Did it last weekend, took me all afternoon taking it easy, (but I was shaping wooden). I found it really helped to put the bike on a paddock stand when bleeding the brakes.
Old 21-04-05, 09:51 PM   #7
Wiltshire7

just out of curiousity, what r the differences in hoses? which ones r best, and why does it help braking?
Old 21-04-05, 09:53 PM   #8
weegaz22

rubber hoses expand under the high pressure generated by the master cyl, so you loose braking power, braided hoses dont expand so more enengy is put into pushing the pad onto the disc
Old 21-04-05, 10:41 PM   #9
Wiltshire7

Quote:
rubber hoses expand under the high pressure generated by the master cyl, so you loose braking power, braided hoses dont expand so more enengy is put into pushing the pad onto the disc
so whats the difference in that and just pulling the leaver further in when braking?

i know i know, i know nothing about brakes. i admit it

i just dont get them though, stock brakes on an sv will lockt he wheel if pushed enough. how can other brakes be more powerful? do they just lock the wheel with less pressure?
i know thats not right, but i dont know why. please explain. proper nOOb questions i know, but i cant believe im the only one.
Old 21-04-05, 10:45 PM   #10
weegaz22

try braking progressively, if you brake suddenly the front end isnt loaded up with the weight transfer and it will cause the wheel to lock and tyre to skid

if you load up the brakes by a gentle squeeze then progressivly get harder you will be able to brake a lot harder than you think