SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-08, 09:13 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default next v-twin after the sv

alot of sv'ers seem to say they love vtwins and find most other engine layouts boring (inline 4 "where's the engine braking!" or "wheres the torque?") so what would be a good step up as a bigger/slightly quicker v-twin?

Obviously there's some of the ducati (if not all of them with a v-twin layout?), a VTR, aprillia's RS-V, suzuki SV1000 and slight variations, maybe some of the triump triples like the daytona 675 or sprint st with it's 1050?

basically I was thinking about what I'd upgrade to in about 4/5 years and am totally against an inline 4 pocket rocket like the rest of the country. I fancy something with a bit of character suggestions

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-08, 09:24 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: next v-twin after the sv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
alot of sv'ers seem to say they love vtwins and find most other engine layouts boring (inline 4 "where's the engine braking!" or "wheres the torque?")
Possibly, but they'd be wrong.

There are plenty of good and bad examples of all engine layouts, v-twin included, it's ridiculous to say any variety is 'better' than any other.

Oh, and 'boring' fours make plenty of torque - often more than similar sized twins.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-08, 09:32 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yup that is true, but a twin making xNM at 5krpm is going to feel like it has more torque than an IL4 making the same at 10krpm.

Can't argue with the sound either

TLS?
Old 31-05-08, 10:00 PM   #4
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

hmmm heard tls' are a bit mental if you don't tame them? still

yeah i think the whole thing with the v-twin layout is that the torque is at half the revs where an equivalent inline 4's peak would be. For day to day riding such as commuting or when you're not thrashing it, torque at lower revs is so much more useable in my opinion. I can see the whole mental rush of an inline 4 being really appealing but I think I'll always look for engines with "character" having gotten use to the SV now.

my friend had bikes all his life and said he "could never get used to the power delivery" on his vtr. "it pulls like feck but then runs out of steam"... needless to say he stuck with inline 4's until his last bike a 2007 sprint st (the 1050 triple layout) which he said had the massive torquey pull through the revs but never seemed to run out of power towards the top...

another guy I know has had a gsxr thou, a kwak ninka special edition etc, and went to test drive a ducati 1098 - he said the same thing "the power delivery is too wierd"... made me think about just how good the torque feels low down

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-08, 11:07 PM   #5
shifter

I have one thing to say to that, Buell!
Old 31-05-08, 11:10 PM   #6
markmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter View Post
I have one thing to say to that, Buell!
+1
Old 01-06-08, 12:47 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If your hoping up from an SV, two bikes I recommend you try.

My own GSXR-750, engine braking and low down ( relatively ) torque, pulls from 4000rpm well all the way up to the limiter.

Ducati 749 or maybe 848 if you like twins, plenty of power, loads of torque, but rev hungry like a IL4, but hugely superior chassis, supension brakes compared to an SV.

I learnt to ride on a two stroke so I have never relied on engine braking to slow me, brakes are for slowing, engine is for going.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 06:17 AM   #8
K

Y'see, I've never understood this 'IL4 have no engine braking' thing... I use it all the time on the BlueBlade.
But then I could ride like a freak for all I know - really must get on a group ride sometime to find out.
Old 01-06-08, 10:02 AM   #9
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

1000cc twins (TL's/SV/VTR/SP1&2/RSV/SL etc.) are not slightly quicker than our 650's. They are MUCH quicker! Instant get up and go.

Its night and day!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 10:12 AM   #10
Wayluya

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Y'see, I've never understood this 'IL4 have no engine braking' thing... I use it all the time on the BlueBlade.
All the IL4's I have had (750 +) have had plenty of engine braking available. Maybe less brutal than a V Twin, but perfectly useable.