SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-08, 11:24 PM   #1
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Test rides.

Well, saturday I decided to go to the local stealers to test ride a CBR600RR K8 whil my mate tested a GSX-R750 K8 and whilst waiting for our slot, we started talking about the gixer thou and a lovely K8 RSV-R Factory (with stage 2 chip and Aky cans) and whether we wanted to take for a test ride after.

I was unconvinced as I was a little nervous of all that power so we decided to leave the decision untill after our first test rides.

What can I say, apart from the CBR is an awesome machine thats well balanced, felt natural, oh, and I LOVE the power band. It gave me the biggest grin I've had in a LONG time!! Managed to get use to the power band and ended up taking it to 150 (on my private road) with my mate behind on the gixer.

When we got back to the stealers, my mate kept on at me to take it out so I buckled and went to enquire. Got the ok from the owner to take the 700 mile machine out so filled out the paperwork.

Meanwhile my mate was trying to sort a ride on the gixer, their responwse this time was that we couldn't both go out at the same time (???, we'd just done exactly that ;-~) and then when he said he was only 24 they said it was a definate no!!!

So off I toddle on the Mille, nervous and scared of the power, the size of the machine and the £750 exccess if I chuck it down the road!!!

Once I got used the the sheer size of it, I started to play and was very supprised by how flickable and chuckable it was and started to play a little more and it wasn't lang before I wasscreaming the thing round the b roads on the way to a dual carriageway. Hit the slip road for the A38 and twisted the throttle WIDE open and it took me a second or so to realise I was using a lot of my arm strength just to hold on as it was tearing forward at warp 9 and everything was going blurry!! I bottled it before I saw 160 (158 so the trip computer kindly told the salesman at the stealers, though he didn't seem to care!) and took it into town.

This is where my smile deacreased a little. Despite the Aky cans, the scared pedestrians and the respecting nods from other bikers, the thing was an absolute b1tch in town. It was a little too high/wide for me so I wasn't flat footed which meant that the weight tipped of centre and had me struggling to keep it upright once or twice, it got to about 1 million degrees by my legs and it hurt my arms, alot!

That being said I love this bike for what it's meant for, the open road. So comfortable when going quick, so controlled in all you ask it to do when going quick, and those brakes would stop you on a penny.

Now the question is which do I get, the bike I've always wanted (CBR600RR) or the no compromise Mille (or SP2 or indeed blade).

Damn these choices, I need more test rides!!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-08, 07:33 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Test rides.

600RR they are about as perfect as a bike can possibly be.
Old 15-07-08, 07:36 AM   #3
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
600RR they are about as perfect as a bike can possibly be.

+1
Old 15-07-08, 08:41 AM   #4
plowsie

+2
Old 15-07-08, 09:07 AM   #5
Zombie Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
GSX-R750 K8
Old 15-07-08, 10:08 AM   #6
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
(158 so the trip computer kindly told the salesman at the stealers, though he didn't seem to care!)
That is so funny, dobbed in by a trip computer! Luckily he wasn't fussed, it's something to remember for future test rides!
Old 15-07-08, 10:21 AM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Test rides
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-08, 10:23 AM   #8
Biker_Billy

Thinking of changing already Phil? - After you have done all that work to your bike? shame on you!!!

But hey, CBR6? You lucky thing - I would love to take one out, but I daren't as I dont think I would have enough self control not to sign on the dotted line....and that would be a Bad Thing, especially as we are supposed to be saving for a wedding!

BB.
Old 15-07-08, 10:27 AM   #9
Raf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
+1
Don't listen to him, he is a tart, and biased!

The 2003 600RR does look good though, however it is also a devious disguise for a torture device. It gets painful just sitting on those...
Old 15-07-08, 10:31 AM   #10
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
Don't listen to him, he is a tart, and biased!
True

Quote:
The 2003 600RR does look good though, however it is also a devious disguise for a torture device. It gets painful just sitting on those...
That's why the 07/08 RR is better, it's more comfy