SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-11-06, 11:50 AM   #1
busasean

Default turbo or not turbo

been quoted £2900 for a ride in, ride out all in job to fit a turbo to my Hayabusa. this will give 285BHP at the rear wheel. If i sell my power commander, carbon akrapovics, and the bmc air filter on ebay it will be about £2100 ish. i'm seriously tempted! got to get xmas out of the way first though. insurance shouldnt be too much of a problem, no more than a £150 increase. hmmm, difficult choice. should i do it?
Old 23-11-06, 11:55 AM   #2
Jelster

Why ?

I love going fast, but 285bhp on two wheels... Where/when/how are you going to use it ?

285bhp with 4 wheels is different, much more weight and brings life to a car. Where are you going to use a 200mph plus bike ?

(This is not meant to sound derogatory, but I just can't see the point....)

Old 23-11-06, 11:57 AM   #3
Amanda M

Of course you should do it You will not regret it. Have a look on oldskoolsuzuki or somewhere like that if you haven't already done that because there's loads on there that have done it.

Hayabusa engines can take 600+BHP, so <300bhp should be a nice reliable piece of kit My husband rode his mates turbo hayabusa and loved it, before it blew up after the power commander reset itself and starved it of fuel. He's a big turbo fan and has a collection of them at home - GSX11 turbo and 2 tweaked GPZ turbos. I've ridden one of the GPZs and it was a right laugh. If you do the busa, can I have a go?

Amanda
Old 23-11-06, 11:59 AM   #4
busasean

i know what you mean, but too be honest its just a case of doing it purely "because it can be done". just really fancy abit of silliness. but at the same time its a case of exactly what you've just said.
Old 23-11-06, 12:02 PM   #5
busasean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
Of course you should do it You will not regret it. Have a look on oldskoolsuzuki or somewhere like that if you haven't already done that because there's loads on there that have done it.

Hayabusa engines can take 600+BHP, so <300bhp should be a nice reliable piece of kit My husband rode his mates turbo hayabusa and loved it, before it blew up after the power commander reset itself and starved it of fuel. He's a big turbo fan and has a collection of them at home - GSX11 turbo and 2 tweaked GPZ turbos. I've ridden one of the GPZs and it was a right laugh. If you do the busa, can I have a go?

Amanda
providing you can insure it, and pay for repairs if you lob it down the road, then yes you're more than welcome to have a go.
Old 23-11-06, 12:04 PM   #6
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M

Amanda
providing you can insure it, and pay for repairs if you lob it down the road, then yes you're more than welcome to have a go.
Only joking, I won't ride other bikes apart from my own and the hubby's when I really have to just in case that happens I would love a busa though but the insurance and temptation to the hubby would be too much
Old 23-11-06, 12:16 PM   #7
sdusk

I wonder how long the rear tyre will last?
Old 23-11-06, 01:22 PM   #8
600+

Having been in your position I would have to say 2 things

1) FFS WHY DO YOU ASK JUST DO IT

2) Make sure you don't get the turbo charging on a curve cause you'll be flying!!!

It is well worth it! You will unleash the power you never dreamed off on a road bike! But whoever maps it for you needs to be extra vigilant as if the map is not smooth all the way you will not be able to ride it.

We built one for road racing (not in the UK!! I must add) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED RIDING IT. You could pull wheelies on any gear at any speed used to always put a smile on my face
Old 24-11-06, 09:29 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdusk
That'd be my main concern.

I've always fancied a go on a turbo 'busa in a comparatively safe environment. For a few years now I've had a business idea at the back of my head of having a "drag racing activity day" place. Like you can pay do do rallying for a day in a subaru etc. I'd fancy the chance to pay a couple hundred quid and have the chance to ride a 200mph bike down a long drag strip and do a verified 200mph, just so you could experience it/say you'd done it, without the cost/risk (of prosecution) of buying your own bike capable of such a feat. I imagine other people would feel the same.
Old 24-11-06, 09:36 AM   #10
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdusk
That'd be my main concern.

I've always fancied a go on a turbo 'busa in a comparatively safe environment. For a few years now I've had a business idea at the back of my head of having a "drag racing activity day" place. Like you can pay do do rallying for a day in a subaru etc. I'd fancy the chance to pay a couple hundred quid and have the chance to ride a 200mph bike down a long drag strip and do a verified 200mph, just so you could experience it/say you'd done it, without the cost/risk (of prosecution) of buying your own bike capable of such a feat. I imagine other people would feel the same.
There is a company that has a hire-a-busa for dragracing. You pays your money and can play on their busa for the day. No idea who/where it is though but I remember reading about it in streetfighters a while ago