SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-11-20, 10:55 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default I have a theory!

I run a dehumidifier in my garage for the bikes. It is in an area partitioned off by heavy duty polythene sheeting, if I was to reduce the volume of the partitioned area I would use less electricity in keeping the humidity at my desired level. No problem.

Here's the theory (ahem) - I have several polystyrene chests acquired since I regularly order frozen blackcurrants. If I seal the lid on these chests and place them with my bikes it will effectively reduce the volume that is being dehumidified.
Does this make sense?
Old 02-11-20, 11:10 AM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: I have a theory!

Yes. Similar to the fridge we have at work that is stuffed with bubble wrap as we only keep a couple of things in it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 09:28 AM   #3
keith_d
Mega Poster

I don't have one of these, so feel free to take my comments with a pinch (or bucket) of salt.

I don't think changing the volume will make as much difference as you think. The humidifier duty cycle depends on the amount of water vapour entering the enclosure, not the volume inside.

The first place I would look is the floor. If it's a concrete floor I would cover it with heavy polythene sheet. Concrete (and brick) is porous enough to allow a lot of water through.

Next look at the joints. Make sure they're doubled over and taped/welded securely.

The final step is to try and reduce the surface area since the total amount of water vapour passing _through_ the walls depends on the surface area.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 09:59 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
I don't have one of these, so feel free to take my comments with a pinch (or bucket) of salt.

I don't think changing the volume will make as much difference as you think. The humidifier duty cycle depends on the amount of water vapour entering the enclosure, not the volume inside.

The first place I would look is the floor. If it's a concrete floor I would cover it with heavy polythene sheet. Concrete (and brick) is porous enough to allow a lot of water through.

Next look at the joints. Make sure they're doubled over and taped/welded securely.

The final step is to try and reduce the surface area since the total amount of water vapour passing _through_ the walls depends on the surface area.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
Thanks for the input. The garage floor perimeter has been treated with a PVA by the builder. I then used a liquid damp proof membrane around the edges extending about 18 inches from the walls. After that a 2 part polyurethane was applied to the whole floor and it now has raised plastic tiles fitted. I think the floor is ok. It's a corrugated roof and I've filled the gaps in the corrugation but I'm not happy with that so I've ordered some (hopefully) better fitting foam.
I haven't painted the walls but I'm thinking that may be a good idea using a concrete sealer or maybe insulate them.

The garage is a Lidget Compton prefab and I was surprised by how many gaps there between walls and roof which I've been filling as I go along.

The dehumidifier hasn't increased my energy bill dramatically but I'm always interested in reducing costs, especially since I'll have the time with a month of no riding imminent.
Old 04-11-20, 11:18 AM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Thanks for the input. The garage floor perimeter has been treated with a PVA by the builder. I then used a liquid damp proof membrane around the edges extending about 18 inches from the walls. After that a 2 part polyurethane was applied to the whole floor and it now has raised plastic tiles fitted. I think the floor is ok. It's a corrugated roof and I've filled the gaps in the corrugation but I'm not happy with that so I've ordered some (hopefully) better fitting foam.
I haven't painted the walls but I'm thinking that may be a good idea using a concrete sealer or maybe insulate them.

The garage is a Lidget Compton prefab and I was surprised by how many gaps there between walls and roof which I've been filling as I go along.

The dehumidifier hasn't increased my energy bill dramatically but I'm always interested in reducing costs, especially since I'll have the time with a month of no riding imminent.
Could be wrong but shouldn't they have used and SBR since PVA is water soluable? Probably irrelevant since you treated it with a liquid membrane anyway.
I think your theory stacks up, it's less air to process meaning the dehum doesn't have to work for as long to get all the moisture out. I get Keith's point about the amount of moisture rather than air but thanks to osmosis the less air that vapour is spread across the less the dehum has to process (even though it's still extracting the same amount of droplets). You'd probably save more money eating less blackberries though ...
Old 04-11-20, 11:32 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
You'd probably save more money eating *less blackberries though ...
*fewer ...

...blackcurrants

Another theory is involved here though. Blackcurrants contain significant amounts of anthocyanin which is what makes fruits and veggies purple. There is an unproven idea that anthocyanin may reduce the effects of dementia and since my Dad had dementia when he died...

besides, I like the taste.

Until 2003 ish blackcurrants were illegal in the US (they could carry a fungus that can damage timber).
Old 04-11-20, 12:16 PM   #7
shiftin_gear98

Maybe keep your stockpile of blackcurrants next to your bike, who knows they might draw the moisture from the air, making them plump and juicy. Also handy for a quick snack whilst you are in the garage filling in the gaps.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 04-11-20 at 12:45 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 03:56 PM   #8
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
<snip>

I think your theory stacks up, it's less air to process meaning the dehum doesn't have to work for as long to get all the moisture out. I get Keith's point about the amount of moisture rather than air but thanks to osmosis the less air that vapour is spread across the less the dehum has to process (even though it's still extracting the same amount of droplets). You'd probably save more money eating less blackberries though ...
If we're counting the individual blackcurrants, then assuming the same amount of water diffuses into a smaller volume the dehumidifier has to run more frequently. Whether this is more efficient depends on how much power is wasted cooling the dehumidifier before it starts condensing water.

But as Dave has pointed out, it would still be more fun turning blackcurrants into jam and eating them on toast than counting the pennies saved.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 04:22 PM   #9
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Whether this is more efficient depends on how much power is wasted cooling the dehumidifier before it starts condensing water.
It's a dessicant dehumidifer - most of the energy is used in heating as it dries the dessicant.

Quote:
But as Dave has pointed out, it would still be more fun turning blackcurrants into jam and eating them on toast than counting the pennies saved.
So to save money I have to boil my blackcurrants, buy pectin and sugar, kilner jars and large saucepans to make jam? Are you sure we're heading in the right direction ? I think I'll stick with the plan of using the frozen blackcurrants on my oatmeal, use their shipping chests to pad out the bike's oxygen tent volume and buy the jam (or more accurately: conserve).
Old 05-11-20, 10:29 AM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
So to save money I have to .....
Haha! Yep, some of my money saving exploits have been the most expensive undertakings I've made.