SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-12, 11:26 PM   #1
Dunn-y

Default Tutoro chain oiler setting advice.

I have a Tutoro Manual Oiler fitted and have noticed that I am getting little streaks of oil on the tyres sidewall and on the edge of the tread. I have the drip rate set just right, any lower and no oil comes out, which is about 1 drip per 1 - 1.30 minutes. The oil streaks are only on the edge of the tread where I havent ridden on. Will get pictures tomorrow. How can I prevent this?
Old 18-03-12, 11:33 AM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tutoro chain oiler setting advice.

It sounds like you are over oiling, Do bare in mind that a tube should oil for about a hundred miles. Are you using a twin or single feed tube on your sprocket?

If in doubt, have a look here for set up advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-12, 12:16 PM   #3
Dunn-y

Thats the thing. It lasts roughly 100 miles as it is. The other day I opened it an 1/8 of turn less and after 50 miles I checked the tube and nothing had come out. I currently only turn the valve 1 and 1/4 turns out. 1 and 1/8 and no oil comes out. I really like the Tutoro, its cheap, simple, really easy to fit and does the job, just need to try and stop oil flinging. (I have the twin nozzle)

Last edited by Dunn-y; 18-03-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 18-03-12, 12:45 PM   #4
MJC-DEV

You will never stop all fling as the used oil has to go somewhere after the chain, same with aerosols.

So if you get some light streaks then thats pretty normal, if the tyre gets wet with oil then it's too much. Same happens with Scot oilers and all others as it's the way they work and I've used scot oilers since the '80s.
Just got the new Automatic Tutoro oiler and very pleased with it. But, like the scot oilers I only ever use a single sided nozzle, you really don't need both sides, so it may help if you just use one nozzle on the outside of the sprocket.
Old 18-03-12, 02:13 PM   #5
Stonesie

Light fling is unavoidable with any chain oiler, that's how they work. The dirty oil flings off the outside of the chain and gets replaced with clean oil on the inside (from the sprocket).

My SV had a Tutoro with the twin feed nozzle and I tuned that down to about 1. 1/4 turns, the oil lasted over 200 miles and the chain always looked wet and clean. Yours might have a bit of gunge or other crap on the thread stopping you from getting such fine adjustment so it is worth having the adjuster out completely and giving it a clean out.

I'm a convert to chain oiler's, mine was fitted with a new chain and sprocket set and after 8K miles the chain was still well within adjustment with no tight spots, it was never adjusted after fitting and the only reason I don't have one on the Triumph is that the chain is on the way out, and it would be a bugger to fit one neatly, it would have to go to the front sprocket.
Old 18-03-12, 02:19 PM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I have both the Auto and the manual and use a single feed on the auto and twin on the manual. For me, the twin feed delivers too much oil and you get more fling, usually all over my wheel, which being silver really shows. However, given that I have barely adjusted my chain and it runs so smooth, I would rather have a little fling than a dry chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC-DEV View Post
You will never stop all fling as the used oil has to go somewhere after the chain, same with aerosols.
This is a very good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote