SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-04-09, 06:04 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default First FAST bike ride

What was your first ever experience on a bike you thought you'd never get back alive on?

For me, I went out for a test ride on a CBR600rr. I'd barely had the SV but they were having a competition at the local honda dealer for anyone who had a test ride, so I booked myself in.
I got out of town, opened it up a bit (naievly) in second gear and then I hit a bump, which made me accidentally crack the throttle fully open and ended up on the pillion seat hurtling in to the distance with the front wheel in the air at 130! I had the bike for an hour and used a whole tank of fuel

I could almost include my first DAS lesson too which was on a hornet, where the instructor ended up being really late for the next lesson so the instructor just told me to go for it. It hit 7000rpm and I suddenly knew what bikes were all about
Old 09-04-09, 06:26 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: First FAST bike ride

So what your saying is, you rather ungracefully cracked the throttle open and wobbled a nervous wheelie(which in fact was 2“ off the deck, feet flailing all over the place.

Sounds like my first go on an SV
Old 09-04-09, 06:27 PM   #3
L3nny
Mega Poster

I took a Thundercat out for a ride from a dealer in Birmingham, just up a 40mph dual carrigeway but the bike had been sat in the showroom for months and what I hadn't noticed is the back tire was a little (very) flat.

I opened it up in second gear and the back end stepped out. Only riding I'd done before that was on the GS500 I did my DAS on and had no idea what to do.

Luckily I stayed upright and took the bike back to the dealer at 20mph and handed back the keys with a "I'll let you know".
Old 09-04-09, 06:28 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
So what your saying is, you rather ungracefully cracked the throttle open and wobbled a nervous wheelie(which in fact was 2“ off the deck, feet flailing all over the place.
I'm the king of the accidental nervous wheelie

I knew bikes were quick, but that thing was just mental! Loved it
Old 09-04-09, 06:34 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

The day i have my SV derestricted, I took it out and got to a nice quiet road. Into third gear, crack open the throttle

holy crap, this thing CAN rev all the way to the limiter!!!!
Old 09-04-09, 06:41 PM   #6
Sosha

See sig.
Old 09-04-09, 06:43 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
The day i have my SV derestricted, I took it out and got to a nice quiet road. Into third gear, crack open the throttle

holy crap, this thing CAN rev all the way to the limiter!!!!
The SV loves revs! Mine would rev out in 6th

As I'm allowed to derail my own thread You'll love this! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 09-04-09, 06:56 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

The first time I rode my 600rr it was obviously completely different to the SV I had before it.

My first thoughts were that all this SS600 talk about them having no low down power was absolute bollox, it was easily quicker from the word go. For the first few miles I was riding it in the same revs as the SV changing up at 9krpm because that what I was used to.

Then I though hell I see what its like to therev all the way......booooom from 9krpm+ the pull was just rediculous, I was also wearing textiles and nearlly bloody fell off the bike.

For a while I really though I had made a massive mistake and wanted my sv back because quite frankly it scared the **** out of me and I thought I would never feel comfortable using all the power.

A year on and like the sv started to do.....it feels slow the problem is you always get used to what you have, and in reality everytime I go on it I could seriously end up in prison, it the only thing stopping me getting a big bike lol
Old 09-04-09, 07:12 PM   #9
Baph

Can't say I've had a ride yet where I didn't think I'd make it back alive.

I do remember my first ride on the SV though. I'd gotten over used to my CG125, which was basically turn a bend from a junction etc & whack the throttle open.

First ride on the SV, at the junction end of my road, turned, whacked. "My god this thing has some power. Remember to be careful with the right wrist!!" The front wheel came up, and it was quite a bit more than 2".
Old 09-04-09, 07:20 PM   #10
plowsie

The cbr when derestricted was a little different.

'This feels the same' baarrrrrrrrrrrr 'let's see if we turn it a bit more its any different, say, past 8k, oh yes, whhheeeeeeeeeeeyyyy'