SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-01-23, 07:19 PM   #271
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Keeps you busy Gary, and projects like this with a nice productive space at the end of it are well worthwhile.
It's going to keep me busy for some time to come yet Trevor!

I was sure I'd posted a picture of my shiny new, pallet compost bins but they don't seem to be here. I'll take some decent pictures and post them tomorrow as I'm very pleased with the way they came out.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 08:28 PM   #272
garynortheast
Mega Poster

My shed is very nearly finished. The builders have done a lovely job. They're coming back next week to fit the window when it arrives and that'll be the job done.

They have also made a very tidy job of replacing the side fence. This looks perfect for growing fruit bushes against it.

The very fellows who did the job.

I also built the other two compost bins last week.

The next job is to put a rail up in the shed from which to hang all my gardening tools, and to build a potting bench across the end with the window. Then I shall finish clearing and levelling the ground between the garlic bed and the end wall/fence ready to plant potatoes in the next few weeks.

It feels like progress is being made.
Old 04-02-23, 09:28 PM   #273
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Busy day with all things veg plot today. Very pleasant couple of hours this morning spent at Shropshire Organic Growers seed potato fair. I bought Charlotte 2nd earlies and Sunset main crop tubers. I didn't buy huge numbers of them as they're for the veg beds in my garden with limited space. If I get my allotment in the next few weeks I'll buy lots more as the intention is to grow lots of spuds the first year on the allotment as a cleaning crop.

I also bought two crowns of rhubarb, which are now temporarily in a pot while I prepare a bed for them.

This afternoon was spent weeding the garlic bed. Good to see the first shoots from the garlic start to poke through the surface, as I was a bit worried that they had suffered in a cold, wet bed.
Then onto the area from the garlic bed to the back wall/fence. Several hours spent forking and raking the soil over, and picking out a large amount of plastic, rubble, and tree roots. More or less finished it just as the daylight was going.

I'm going to mulch this bed with well rotted horse poo and some composted bark chippings before the spuds go in there.

A couple of days ago, once the roof was on my shed I started getting my garden tools properly hung up. I need a couple more rails up yet for the rest of them.

The window is due to be fitted on Tuesday. Once it's in I'll build a potting bench in front of it.

A few days ago the owner of the holly tree and the land behind my garden phoned the council and said I had "thrown a load of rubbish over the fence" and onto his land. The housing officer phoned me to chat about it, so I told her what the situation was and invited her to come and see for herself. She came and had a look the next day but I was out. She called me back in the evening to let me know that she saw no problem with what we'd done and that we were in the right. I suspect the complainant had short shrift from the council.

Last edited by garynortheast; 04-02-23 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-02-23, 09:34 PM   #274
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Looks very productive Gary.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-23, 09:36 PM   #275
garynortheast
Mega Poster

It will be soon John. I'm still at the prep stage at the moment, but it does feel good to be out there getting it ready.
Old 26-02-23, 07:27 PM   #276
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Lots of progress on the veg garden over the last couple of weeks.

The windows are fitted to the shed, (they're double glazed no less) so my gardening tools are now stacked in there. Some are hung up but I need to put more rails and hangers up for the rest.

Cleared and prepared the next bed. This is where my runner and French beans will go. Just need to put some kitchen waste/muck in a trench where each row of beans will go now.

The three new raised beds are all done now. The one on the right has been finished for a while and has 45 garlic cloves planted in it and growing away strongly. The two on the left have been filled with the excess soil from the new bed by the compost bins and topped off with some lovely, 4 year old horse poo. They'll have spuds in them soon.

I was given three bales of straw this afternoon so I've used some of it to cap the full compost bin, and to start adding layers between the kitchen waste and wetter stuff going into the second bin.

All in all, a productive afternoon.
Old 26-02-23, 07:48 PM   #277
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Looking good Gary

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 26-02-23, 07:54 PM   #278
garynortheast
Mega Poster

It's getting there John, but loads more to do yet.

I'm collecting hedging plants on Tuesday for a mixed, native species hedge around the front garden. I suspect once it's in and growing, it'll make the front garden feel much less exposed and more like my own front garden. I'm also going to turn one part of the front into a mini wildflower meadow, hopefully with a small pond.
Old 28-02-23, 10:43 AM   #279
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Just collected my hedging plants for the front garden, but it’s raining and trying to plant them would just turn the area into a mud bath I suspect. I’ll see how it looks tomorrow.
Old 28-02-23, 04:22 PM   #280
redtrummy

Put fleece over garlic and shallots today - apparently Alum Leaf Miner is active March - April, its around here.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote