SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-08, 02:44 PM   #1
Dan

Default Anyone tried a Triumph Tiger?

Just an idle thought I was having the other day.

Went to a bike shop and they had a rather nice '02 plate Tiger 955i with full luggage and a few other extras in.

Having had a 400 mile wet ride back on my ZX7 from the AR, I was thinking that for the majority of the riding I do I don't really need a sportsbike, and I kinda fancy something a bit different, that both me and my wife can be comfy on.

Sat on the Tiger and it's soooo comfy, albeit a bit tall for my 5'7" - but it doesn't feel much taller than the ZX7 and I can still touch down easily enough.

So anyone had/have/know anything about the Triumph Tiger?
Old 09-07-08, 02:51 PM   #2
Gazza77

Default Re: Anyone tried a Triumph Tiger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just an idle thought I was having the other day.

Went to a bike shop and they had a rather nice '02 plate Tiger 955i with full luggage and a few other extras in.

Having had a 400 mile wet ride back on my ZX7 from the AR, I was thinking that for the majority of the riding I do I don't really need a sportsbike, and I kinda fancy something a bit different, that both me and my wife can be comfy on.

Sat on the Tiger and it's soooo comfy, albeit a bit tall for my 5'7" - but it doesn't feel much taller than the ZX7 and I can still touch down easily enough.

So anyone had/have/know anything about the Triumph Tiger?
Nope, but you'll find plenty of info here: http://www.t595.net

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 03:02 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

indeed, worked on a few, ridden a few and know a couple of owners, the 02 will be the 955i engine a real peach of a motor (more go than the big GS bm's), suspention is softer and long travel but no that "wallowy" and best planned around corners but I've seen one on a trackday , finish is normally good as triumph build for this country so not much rots away, spoked wheels are nice but a pain to keep clean, most fit the slightly bigger screen than normal for better wind protection, but it'll sit all day at just under three figures and carry you as far as you want to go, or give you great visability for a run into town over the traffic.

Oh about 130 top end or so (think sv top speed, not quite as wiggly but less gear changes so more relaxed).

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 09-07-08 at 03:05 PM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 03:12 PM   #4
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
indeed, worked on a few, ridden a few and know a couple of owners, the 02 will be the 955i engine a real peach of a motor (more go than the big GS bm's), suspention is softer and long travel but no that "wallowy" and best planned around corners but I've seen one on a trackday , finish is normally good as triumph build for this country so not much rots away, spoked wheels are nice but a pain to keep clean, most fit the slightly bigger screen than normal for better wind protection, but it'll sit all day at just under three figures and carry you as far as you want to go, or give you great visability for a run into town over the traffic.

Oh about 130 top end or so (think sv top speed, not quite as wiggly but less gear changes so more relaxed).

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Good info Mark... any ideas what they're like two-up and loaded?
Old 09-07-08, 03:19 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

yeah, two up no problem about the only time you'll notice is under braking the engine has the torque to handle it without issue, the topbox is massive however the righthand pannier is quit small as it wraps arount the high level exhaust so doesn't hold as much as the left, with full luggage on they are a bit wide, but managable.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 03:23 PM   #6
arc123

Great bike - I owned one for a bit over 2 years, and rode it every day for commuting, and all other travel (no car at the time).

I'll mention this bit first..... I had reliability probs on mine. gear box problems on two occasions where I was without a bike for a couple of weeks at a time (the bike was just out of warranty, so it was good of Triumph to do the fix FOC, but wouldn't provide a courtesy bike). Then probs again with the gearbox a few months later, which again were fixed. No consolation to me, but never heard of any other Tigers with this problem. maybe it was user error

Aside from this - BEST bike I have ever owned (and I have had an SV, 'Prilia Falco and RR3 Fireblade). Great fun to ride - can really throw them around (peg down riding all the time). Visibility is great cos you're so high up, so never need to slow down! As already mention, suspension is a little soft, and coming from the Falco, the brakes felt okay, but not excellent. Engine is fantastic - nice smooth pull from low revs, sounds great (a little quiet with standard can) but that can soon be changed if you wanted something a little louder.

I don't have a bike right now, but if/when I get back into it then I would certainly look at this type of bike again.

I recommend taking it for a test ride and see what you think - I HATED the looks of it before I bought it, but was intrigued by it, took it for a ride...... LOVED it. I did touring on it, commuting and other every day travel, fast weekend riding. Everything. Taking out the obvious top end deficiency compared to Falco/Blade, I think I was at least as fast, maybe faster on 'most' of the roads I like to ride (the fast/sweeping/twisty B roads).
arc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 03:33 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

and yet a friend at work bought one after his Mille, as suited his very tall frame, hated it....well what did he expect, said it was boring..yawn!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 03:35 PM   #8
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc123 View Post
Taking out the obvious top end deficiency compared to Falco/Blade, I think I was at least as fast, maybe faster on 'most' of the roads I like to ride (the fast/sweeping/twisty B roads).
Nail on head - I'm no racer and i feel just as quick on something like a mate's Hornet as I do on the ZX7, and I want to be able to tour with my wife in comfort as well without owning loads of bikes.
Old 09-07-08, 05:38 PM   #9
sv_rider1990

Get the beemer that was on the long way down and long way round lol!!
Old 09-07-08, 06:06 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

I treid the new 1050 and loved every minute. If only i had 9k
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote