SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-06, 06:01 PM   #1
heros

Default cheap winter gloves?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...oves&doy=12m12

was looking at a pair of these to keep my hands warm, has any1 used these at all? or is it a bad idea? :P
Old 12-12-06, 06:09 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

unfortunately they aren't waterproof, no armour, and you can lay good money the seams would burst under crash pressures.

basically not up to the job, perhaps the lining and electrics could be transplanted into proper motorcycle gloves ? although how good the heating is at speed from these things is anyones guess.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 06:17 PM   #3
heros

reckon it would be possible to wear them under another pair of gloves or are they too bulky?
Old 12-12-06, 06:24 PM   #4
andy

way too bulky, unless the gloves were very big.

Get some bar muffs - use normal summer gloves, nice and warm hands, nice and dry, look damn silly
Old 12-12-06, 06:34 PM   #5
jonboy

HG two finger Pathans, £35. Any cheaper than that and you'll only be buying rubbish, unless you're very lucky and get a sale item. Bike gear ain't cheap.

Old 12-12-06, 06:37 PM   #6
hovis

but @ only £10 worth a try, but as said above no protection is the main downside

edit} batteries only last 45 mins
Old 12-12-06, 07:07 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

£10 spent on s*** saves you no money, it just means you have £10 less when you give in and buy something that isn't s*** HG Pathans are great winter gloves, and not too expensive. If £35's too much to spend on safety gear, then tbh you're going to spend your whole biking career in stuff that doesn't work.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 07:09 PM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
£10 spent on s*** saves you no money, it just means you have £10 less when you give in and buy something that isn't s*** HG Pathans are great winter gloves, and not too expensive. If £35's too much to spend on safety gear, then tbh you're going to spend your whole biking career in stuff that doesn't work.
like pink leathers that dont fit

(i found the pathans too bulky)
Old 12-12-06, 07:18 PM   #9
valleyboy

I found the Panthans eventualy leak.. and I mean leak with a capital L even the dye ahd come off... so I then ended up with black hands... BUT, as far as warm gloves go, I give them a great thumbs up... nice and toasty on a freezing cold day.... just dont expect them to be waterproof for too long.... or, if you have the money, a pair of HG Master gloves.. the dogs dangly bits as far as Im concerned for wet weather riding.... plus along with Oxford Hot Grips.. I now have toasty hands on my bike
Old 12-12-06, 07:41 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I had a pair of Masters, didn't like them... Just about to buy a pair of Spada Force 2 WPs, they won the Ride best buy last time they did a winter glove test so they seem like a good bet, warmest in test and totally waterproof. My Pathans have done 4 winters now, they're a bit done in

Hovis, as winter glvoes go Pathans aren't very bulky... The 2-finger design means they need much less insulation to get the same result. My old winter gloves were Frank Thomas Aqua-Somethings, and my word they were rubbish. They were exactly as bulky and expensive as they were not-warm and not-waterproof But if you want to wait a little I should have some thoughts on the Spadas. I want heated gloves before next winter, but I doubt my Pathans will last well till the scottish bike show.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote