SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-06, 08:23 PM   #1
RayCav

Default D.I.Y timing retard eliminator. HELP !!!!!!!!!

Hi all, i'm gonna bypass the timing retarder - had also thought about an ignition advancer, but!
Would it be worth it?
Would there be any conflicts?
Is it worth doing both or one or the other?
So, can anybody help!
Old 25-02-06, 09:33 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Worth it? Who knows? You get so many varying claims for the results of the TRE mod. I did and noticed no diffrence whatsoever, but some people do. It's free, there's no downside on the carbed bike, don't worry about it.

It won't conflict with the ignition advancer- the advancer is a mechanical advance, the retard is electronic. i do like the ignition advancer, makes loads of sense for a road bike. More midrange can't be sniffed at. It's not massively difficult, but not a beginner job either.

If you're interested in getting a wee bit more cheap power, I've got a set of spare intake cams you could replace your exhaust cams with, plus a set of buckets for the same... Nice mod that. Though obviously I've got a vested interest £50...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-06, 09:38 PM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

did the tre mod on both of my sv and noticed no difference at all
Old 25-02-06, 09:45 PM   #4

ditto above
Old 25-02-06, 11:23 PM   #5
petevtwin650

I've elimimated the retarder. Simple disconnection of two wires. Personally I could feel the difference, but it could be down to the way you ride I guess.

Does the ignition advancer mean you have to run on higher octane fuel?
Old 26-02-06, 12:57 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Nah, not with standard compression. Though I do anyway, because I'm a victim of hype.

If you raise the compression, by fitting a thinner head gasket or decking the heads, then it would quite likely become an issue. But thinking back, I think JHS advised that it should be fine up to 13:1- which is pretty damn high.

The only thing about the 3 or 4 degree advance mods is that if you then go on and tune the bike further, it can cost you top-end power. According to Them What Knows, the advancer's likely costing my between half and pone horse at peak. It gets worse the more power you have. But frankly, i couldn't care less, the extra rideability low down is more than worth it.
Old 26-02-06, 09:13 AM   #7
Hogzi

Default Ignition Advance

What sort of power increase would you get (approximately) low down fitting an ignition advanced unit or is it more to do with torque?

I like the idea. Also where do you get them from and what sort of costs are they?

Cheers
Old 26-02-06, 02:39 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

JHS has a dyno chart for it, or did anyway. They also sell the part, though not the rotor tool you need for it. I've got one, but I've lost track of who's got it just now.

But here's the thing- all you need is that tool, the magneto cover gasket, and the puller. Plus regular tools of course. The rotor puller's quite a big expense though, it's £25. ou can get a bolt the right size, but what that right size is I forget.