SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-06, 06:52 PM   #1
DeanoN

Default Paging VB - Pen Y Fan

My brother has basically challenged me to go up the mountain with him , as it's in your backyard I wondered if you had any tips on staying in one piece and walking off the mountain as opposed to getting a ride in an air ambulance.

I know its not the type of mountain to require rock climbing skills, but I also know its had a fair few casualties over the years, including experienced soldiers, so any tips would be mucho appreciated.

Old 23-08-06, 07:14 PM   #2
valleyboy

hahaha.. I aint been up there in ages.. use to go up that quite a lot when I was in cadets... use to call it fun back then as well

there are a fe different ways of getting up there, the main two are these:

from Storey arms up.. thats near the burger van, theres actualy a building by some trees up there, and a path that goes up to the top from there, thats steepish, and stays that way all until the top...

the other way takes ages to get to in a car, you go up from merthyr, and stop near the Neuadd resevoirs way past Pontsticyll.... that way is deseptive.. its very very easy to get to the base of the mountain, its an old roman footpath I do beleive... then you have one hell of a walk to get up to the top from there... last time I was that way there was a whight out.... couldnt see eff all... but we were still out in it freezing our asses off

right, heres the bad bit.

The weather can change very very quickly up there.. Im talking all nice suny and warm shorts and tee shirt weather to snowing like hell, and whight out condition in a matter of minutes... take spare clothing etc.... we were always taught to take everything you need for a nights stay, even if you were only going for the day.. as you never know....

other bad bit... SAS soldiers have died up there on training.

There is a marker stone along the top of the ridge looking down at the Neuadd resevoirs dedicated to one of the soldiers..

p.s. take a camera... trust me, on a sunny day, you wont have a better view in all of south wales (appart from maybe the fantasy lounge )

Old 23-08-06, 07:19 PM   #3
valleyboy

just general common sense really.. take about two days food rations, plenty of water.. but there are natural springs up on the sides of the mountain.. fresh water.. only contaminantes would be sheep pee.... take some extra clothing.... a dry change of clothes always comes in handy... maps that cover the area you will be travelling, a compass.. and the knowledge to use them in conjunction with each other

we had to fill in route cards before we would go up there, with times we expect to be at certain waypoints etc.. but that was us in cadets etc...

I'll post more when I can think of it.. been a long time since Ive done anything up that way... and its only a few minutes away

Old 23-08-06, 07:22 PM   #4
DeanoN

cheers dude, I'll defiantly take camera, as will my bro who is a photographer, so I'll post pics. just got to sort out a date.

Old 23-08-06, 07:24 PM   #5
valleyboy

I cannot stress the fact how dangerous it can be up there as well.... if in bad conditions up at the top, keep away from the edge of one of the faces... its a big drop.. a good few hundred feet down.... glorious views.. but watch your step!

Old 23-08-06, 07:26 PM   #6
DeanoN

Rations, this all sounds a bit serious

Old 23-08-06, 07:39 PM   #7
valleyboy

as said, I was in cadets, so we had to plan these things... the route we would take, how long it should take between waypoints, rest points etc.. we always had to take an extra days food... but being cadets, we could sometimes nab the rat packs (ration packs) the forces used.. actualy very tasty some of it just take plenty of high energy food.. chocolates and stuff like that.. avoid pot noodles we were told.. as they dont contain much energy... soups and stuff like that, hot drinks... as I guarantee you , it WILL be cold up there!

Old 23-08-06, 08:37 PM   #8
tiggers1963

Deano, having been in the TA's for many years and having trained on them thar hills I can vouch that what vb is saying is correct. the SAS train on the hills constantly so don't be surprised if a few squaddies go steaming past you. (by the way the SAS recruits call that part of their training the fan dance, and apparently it's the most feared part of the course.) Take his advice to heart mate, and if you can, work out a route beforehand and stick to it. as vb said the weather can change in seconds up there. Also for safety take a mobile, a whistle and torch. Plus (and I can't emphasise this enough). KNOW YOUR LIMIT'S AND LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT ROUTE YOUR TAKING AND YOUR EXPECTED TIME OF RETURN.

P.S Have a great day out.

PPS have a check on here before you go, may give you a good idea of what the weathers likely to be up there.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/loutdoo...ty/brecon.html

Old 23-08-06, 09:00 PM   #9
DeanoN

Thanks for the link, I'm starting to think I need to plan this at little bit better

What with the weather starting to take a turn for the worse, i'm going to need a sherpa to help carry all my stuff

Old 23-08-06, 09:05 PM   #10
tiggers1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoN
Thanks for the link, I'm starting to think I need to plan this at little bit better

What with the weather starting to take a turn for the worse, i'm going to need a sherpa to help carry all my stuff
the rule of thumb is stick to the tracks, don't try to go wandering off, and above all else when the weather starts to turn (which is highly likely this time of year) get yourselves off the hills, people have died up there by trying to be heroes

Closed Thread