SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-01-08, 01:31 AM   #1
tomjones2

Default Front sprocket cover on a trackbike?

Do you need to keep the front sprocket cover for a trackbike, I can't see anyway that you could but your foot though the mechanism and it just seems like one more thing that can be taken off. I am getting a sharkfin for the back sprocket?

Cheers
Old 14-01-08, 10:15 AM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Front sprocket cover on a trackbike?

I don't know the regs on the matter, but on the pointy, the cover is plastic and weighs absolutely b-all. As you say, I think you'd be hard pressed to get your foot in there; I've always imagined it was more to help keep it clean and stop laces (which you probably wouldn't have on a trackday boot ) and textiles (again, not on a trackday) from getting tangled up in there.
Old 14-01-08, 06:51 PM   #3
Robw#70

Leave the front one off, depending on your feet/footrests its sometimes worth leaving the main chainguard on, unless you dont mind wearing your boot out on the tyre
Old 14-01-08, 06:54 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

I'd keep it on, as it also covers some of the clutch mechanism and stuff; woulnt want to have some gravel or some other foreign object break that piddly spring

Matt
Old 14-01-08, 07:35 PM   #5
tomjones2

Many thanks for all the replies guys, all valid comments, i have left it off because its covered in crap and I figured its one less thing to keep on.

On another similar note the radiator fan, I want to get rid of that as well but the wiring includes the thermostat which i want to keep, can I just cut the fan out of the loop and rejoin the wires or is this going to cause something to go funny because there is no power hungry fan in the way.
Old 14-01-08, 08:31 PM   #6
arenalife

My old friend took his spocket cover off to make cleaning easier or something. He leaned down to adjust his boots one day and when he put his hand back on the bars there was a finger hanging off
Old 14-01-08, 10:02 PM   #7
arenalife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
Many thanks for all the replies guys, all valid comments, i have left it off because its covered in crap and I figured its one less thing to keep on.

On another similar note the radiator fan, I want to get rid of that as well but the wiring includes the thermostat which i want to keep, can I just cut the fan out of the loop and rejoin the wires or is this going to cause something to go funny because there is no power hungry fan in the way.
What you wanna get rid of that for? Don't 'rejoin' the wires if you do cut it out, just leave them disconnected or there will be an atomic explosion.
Old 14-01-08, 11:00 PM   #8
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenalife View Post
What you wanna get rid of that for? Don't 'rejoin' the wires if you do cut it out, just leave them disconnected or there will be an atomic explosion.
Cant see the point of a fan on a track bike, the fan on the sv only ever really comes on when its really hot standing at traffic light, not a problem on a racebike plenty of air over the radiator. The wire goes to the fan, out the fan to the thermostat, thermostat back to the connector. If i leave them disconnected I am going to lose the thermostat, what I was worried about it if there is a resistor of something in the fan which once removed would melt the thermostat.
Old 14-01-08, 11:24 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Sensor on the bottom of the rad does nothing except run the fan, coolant temperature light is a seperate sensor on the thermostat itself (under carbs)

If you're really mad on saving weight you could replace the fan sensor with an alloy plug

If you short the fan wires together it will blow engine fuse. (or maybe the sensor one, not sure)
Old 14-01-08, 11:42 PM   #10
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Sensor on the bottom of the rad does nothing except run the fan, coolant temperature light is a seperate sensor on the thermostat itself (under carbs)

If you're really mad on saving weight you could replace the fan sensor with an alloy plug

If you short the fan wires together it will blow engine fuse. (or maybe the sensor one, not sure)
Sorry me being really stupid here, I assumed that this was the thermostat, I think I can just disconect the fan and the sensor and the thermostat will provide the temp gauge, I have a K3 btw but I think most things are pretty similar.

I will leave the sensor in place, I dont want to spend any money reducing weight but I figured I may as well take off as much as possible as its free savings.