SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 17-03-08, 07:02 PM   #1
Rhiwbina_Squirrel

Default Textile or Leather

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned somewhere on here but I couldn't find it. I have a nice big HG textile jacket, it feels sturdy and has a good few years in it. But, if I'm going to buy in the future I'd rather know which I should go for. I'm sure this could benefit some other people on here too.

Any comments? Thanks
Old 17-03-08, 07:09 PM   #2
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Textile or Leather

Howdy, from the experience of sliding down the mway at 70mph I can safely say that the textiles were obliterated and have had to be chucked.

I've been told that if I had been in leather they probably would have survived much better.

Also, its not that much of a pain wearing leather with a waterproof over the top. In fact, I find the extra layers keep me dryer.

Drew

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-08, 07:20 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Both have their place, generally speaking textiles are easier to get on and off, far more waterproof and handle both extremes of weather (cold & hot) better than leathers, on the other hand leathers offer better abrasion protection and fit tighter so hold the armour on the impact area when you need it, so over all work a lot better in an accident.

if you're only a sunny sunday rider the leathers are the way to go, however if you're using the bike most (if not all) year around then a set of textiles will be the easiest to live with, of course over time having both is the best of both worlds.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-08, 07:49 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I always used to be a leather wearer...until I endured 500miles in the pouring rain through France. Not an experience i would like to repeat. Wringing leathers out at every service station got a tad annoying

When my friend had a Halvarsons sale in his shop last month I took the opportunity to buy a load of gear, can safely say I should have done it before France......but at full price was out of my range. IMO its top banana, as I've got all the armour in my gear.
Im Indoors has half converted.......I just can't get him to bin the stinky battered jacket....lol

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-08, 07:59 PM   #5
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

I had a textile jacket, Alpinestar, very nice it looked too. Until had my off at 40mph, it was trashed, holes in it from where i slide across the road. My jeans came off better.

I have now purhcased some leathers, I think these would have stood up far better in the same circumstance.... and they look much nicer
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-08, 09:50 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If your starting out then I'd get textiles, they are more versatile than leathers, as Rictus says.

I started out with a set of textiles that I complimented with a set of leathers later on.

Buy the best stuff you can afford, and think about what you're going to be using the bike for.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-08, 09:57 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

Starting out I got leathers and never regretted it. An all in one oversuit made wet/very cold weather bearable, and having leathers meant I could soon do trackdays. I've worn mine from about +2deg C to 40 deg C, touring, trackdaying, long motorway trips, scratching, pootling and bimbling and a little commuting. With the right approach to layers leathers can be made to suit many conditions.

However if you're going to use your bike for a lot of commuting I'd also consider textiles as they are quicker on and off and better in the wet/dank on short trips where waterproofs become a hassle.
Old 21-03-08, 10:15 PM   #8
FeRoL

I have textile top and bottom and they're comfy, waterproof and bearable in the summer (just).... but the appeal of leather is strong and they're next on the shopping list

Can also say that textiles don't like being abused and even with my minor scuffle with a car last year it almost wrecked the textile trousers which just melt at the first sign of friction! (still did a fine job of protecting me though)
Old 21-03-08, 11:24 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Well leathers all the way for me when it gets warmer. bought textiles for the winter and they have worked well in the wet but feel so bulky compared with my leathers.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 10:42 PM   #10
skellyjelly

I do a 60 mile round trip to work and back up the M23 and M25, and once a month a 300 mile round trip to Coventry and back, and I'd be lost (and wet) without my textile gear. Leather's great if you keep a rainsuit with you, and certainly is less bulky, so there really isn't a "best" answer IMHO. Both have their merits.

http://skellyjellyworld.blogspot.com