SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-08, 03:38 PM   #1
DF!

Default Newbie Saying Hello and help!

Hi All,

I haven't had a lot of time to read through the pages of the site yet as about a day after signing up to the site I slid off my 05 SV650 S and broke myself on a car that was waiting to turn at some traffic lights!

Still, I am now out of itensive care and back home (With a little time on my hands untill I can go back to work, time that is itching my 'need' to fix up my bike quickly! Even though I can't ride her yet.)

Needless to say I am a new rider, and have just experienced the 'too much front brake' syndrome! My injuries were / are Broken Left Femur, 6 broken ribs, punctured / collapsed lung, legions to spleen and kidney causing internal bleeding, seriously bruised man vagtables and a fractured collar bone or two. That's the injuries to me, unfortunatly as you are all well aware I guess, I am on the road to repair, but my bike seems less eager to repair iteself and is currently sitting in the garage waiting for some help!

Damage to the bike is luckily rather minimal as the bike simply slid down the road, so far I have listed it as:

1. RHS slip on is damaged at end (worn away from slide. Not sure if this can be repared or needs to be replaced) (STD Kit)
2. RHS bar end gone (and so has fixing screw / rubber) (STD kit)
3. RHS Front brake lever very bent! (Banditmania)
4. RHS Rear brake lever snapped (Std Kit)
5. Nose cone damaged
6. RHS Lower fairing scrached / damaged (wish I bought some bungs!)
7. Fixing lug for iridium screen broken off
8. RHS Foot Peg (anodised blue, origins unknown) snapped off
9. RHS Grip wrecked (Banditmania)
10. Exhaust scratched and flattened a bit by road! (Demon Performance, unsure of origin - Demon Tweaks perhaps?))

If anyone can point me in the right direction with any of the problems / damage I have listed regarding the poor bike, I would greatly appreciate it...

Also, any advise on a decent set of tryes would be well received. (Think it's got Dunlop Sportmax or something like that at the minute. Should be called slipmax!)

Sorry about the essay, too much time on hands and too much Morphine in blood maybe!

Many thanks

DF (Scott)
Old 25-08-08, 04:21 PM   #2
tanis34

Default Re: Newbie Saying Hello and help!...

welcome to the off club m8 sounds like it was a painful one hope u and ure bike get on the road to recovery quickly gws
Old 25-08-08, 05:01 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF! View Post
My injuries were / are Broken Left Femur, 6 broken ribs, punctured / collapsed lung, legions to spleen and kidney causing internal bleeding, seriously bruised man vagtables and a fractured collar bone or two.
You got off lightly, wish that was all I had...

Quote:
1. RHS slip on is damaged at end (worn away from slide. Not sure if this can be repared or needs to be replaced) (STD Kit)
2. RHS bar end gone (and so has fixing screw / rubber) (STD kit)
3. RHS Front brake lever very bent! (Banditmania)
4. RHS Rear brake lever snapped (Std Kit)
5. Nose cone damaged
6. RHS Lower fairing scrached / damaged (wish I bought some bungs!)
7. Fixing lug for iridium screen broken off
8. RHS Foot Peg (anodised blue, origins unknown) snapped off
9. RHS Grip wrecked (Banditmania)
10. Exhaust scratched and flattened a bit by road!
Scott, post this list in the wanted section as someone out there is bound to have something you need. Also have a search on Ebay, you will find most of the things on there too. Just work on the must have to be on the road first, cosmetic damage can be done at a later date.
Old 26-08-08, 07:07 PM   #4
DF!

Cheers guys.

What did you end up with Dave?

I consider myself pretty lucky really, appart from nearly meeting the reaper on day two (apparently, so the wife tells me), I have gone from strength to strength and feel pretty good now (morphine permitting!)

Does anyone know if a slip on will need replacing because the end is slightly worn from it's slide! I would say that the wear is about 35% on one corner,

Regards
Old 26-08-08, 07:19 PM   #5
Rich
Mega Poster

Sounds Like we're lucky to have you on here... Welcome, i expect you'll notch up your post count while your recovering!! Does the wife know your planning on fixing your bike and getting back on ASAP?

Rich
Old 26-08-08, 07:29 PM   #6
Jayg0

Bad luck mate. At least you're recovering - those were nasty injuries.

Sounds like your bike has similar damage to mine. Have you had it checked on a jig? Got mine checked by a local place and the yokes were twisted also. Plastics shouldn't be a problem to source / repair. Rear brake levers are like hens teeth though!
Old 26-08-08, 10:52 PM   #7
sam anon

Quote:
Cheers guys.

What did you end up with Dave?

I consider myself pretty lucky really, appart from nearly meeting the reaper on day two (apparently, so the wife tells me), I have gone from strength to strength and feel pretty good now (morphine permitting!)

Does anyone know if a slip on will need replacing because the end is slightly worn from it's slide! I would say that the wear is about 35% on one corner,

Regards
Glad you're relatively ok, and welcome to the forum!

Are you refering to the end can?

If it's been worn through it'll need replacing.
Old 27-08-08, 06:26 AM   #8
nik_nunez

glad you are ok-ish, i did the same thing but luckily on a lesson so not my bike and only going about 35-40 in the wet and just slid about and do no serious damage

get well soon
Old 27-08-08, 10:10 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Blimey!

I think you mean a clip on? as in handle bar?

Where are you based? People localy may be able to help you staple the bike back together.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-08, 11:36 AM   #10
Mr_Chin

DF

I've got some brand new blue anodised front foot pegs (rider pegs). They are the tapered ones not the round ones. £15 delivered?

Chin