SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-06, 05:12 PM   #1
***Steve***

Default Cost of restricting

A friend of mine wants to get an Intruder, Dragstar or Shadow after doing her CBT tomorrow. If she gets a 250cc or, god forbid, bigger does anyone have a rough estimate what the cost of getting one of these bikes restricted would be? Also anyone any experience/recommendation with these bikes
Old 17-08-06, 05:42 PM   #2
Law

I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm this, or say I'm wrong.

I believe after a CBT you can only ride a 125cc no higher than 14bhp, on L plates.

So she can't get a 250 and restrict it.
Old 17-08-06, 05:53 PM   #3
***Steve***

Hmm looks like your right, oh well 125 cruiser it is
Old 17-08-06, 06:02 PM   #4
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Steve***
Hmm looks like your right, oh well 125 cruiser it is
My sister had a 125 Intruder. Looked lots better than the cheapo single cylinder Maurauder.
Old 17-08-06, 10:38 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

125 Virago was better than you'd think, too... Way better than the Dragstar- about 30 kilos lighter, more ground clearance, and it looks like a real bike, not a caricature of one. Still about as fast as climate change, but that's OK. I loved mine, even though it was permanently broken down. Only trouble is, the newest ones are about 4 years old now, and the build quality's not fantastic.

Absoultely not, under any circumstances, the Gilera Coguar. When Gilera got rid of the disasterous electrics and dodgy handling from the DNAs, they had all this bad biking karma floating about the factory causing trouble- so they designed the Coguar specifically to be the saggiest, most ill-designed, least reliable ****box they could, in order to act as a lightning rod.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 08:11 AM   #6
***Steve***

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
125 Virago was better than you'd think, too... Way better than the Dragstar- about 30 kilos lighter, more ground clearance, and it looks like a real bike, not a caricature of one. Still about as fast as climate change, but that's OK. I loved mine, even though it was permanently broken down. Only trouble is, the newest ones are about 4 years old now, and the build quality's not fantastic.
Yeah the Virago was nice but the main priority has to be reliability/build quality as it's going to be a winter commuter for her. It's about an 8 mile stop/start round trip to work so top speed isn't so important. Bearing that in mind I'm inclined to go for the Honda just because of their reputation for starting first time every time. If only you could restict on a CBT liscence then she could get a Honda Rune and I could have a go on it
Old 18-08-06, 06:16 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Ah. Most of the cruisers aren't up to much for winter use, too much cheap chrome. The shadow 125 doesn't seem to be as well put together as you'd think, by the way- one fo the guys at my work has one, and it's a festering heap after 10,000 miles (and it's garaged).
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 06:35 PM   #8
w1ll15

yea, you cant have anything bigger than a 14hp 125cc bike on a cbt,
on restricted access license you can have any bike with a hp figure of 33hp, for 2 years
or you can take DAS after the age of 21
Old 18-08-06, 06:37 PM   #9
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Steve***
has to be reliability/build quality as it's going to be a winter commuter for her. It's about an 8 mile stop/start round trip to work so top speed isn't so important. Bearing that in mind I'm inclined to go for the Honda just because of their reputation for starting first time every time. If only you could restict on a CBT liscence then she could get a Honda Rune and I could have a go on it
125 Varadero. Cracking, looks like a big bike.

Old 18-08-06, 06:55 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind

Absoultely not, under any circumstances, the Gilera Coguar. When Gilera got rid of the disasterous electrics and dodgy handling from the DNAs, they had all this bad biking karma floating about the factory causing trouble- so they designed the Coguar specifically to be the saggiest, most ill-designed, least reliable ****box they could, in order to act as a lightning rod.
Where were you last year when that was my choice after a ped
No real problems though, except the exhaust studs broke, and I learned that if you doon't lube & adjust the chain it eventually spins round the sprockets
Oh and all the light bulbs stopped working one after the other

That looks fab Dr Rich How much? - and vTwin so good while being restricted?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote