SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-05, 03:34 AM   #1
littlemonster

Default Silly Question: Metric or Standard

I'm off to buy tools for my '03 SV650 and just wanted confimation that I should buy metric? I know silly, but just want to make sure. Thanks.
Old 26-05-05, 04:26 AM   #2
kingnothing

metric, dogg.
Old 26-05-05, 07:19 AM   #3
BillyC
Mega Poster

I guess the Americans are the only people who still use "standard", or Imperial to use the correct term
Old 26-05-05, 07:43 AM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
I guess the Americans are the only people who still use "standard", or Imperial to use the correct term
As the Harley rider who had broken down that I stopped to help found to his cost
Old 26-05-05, 08:13 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Until the last 10 years most of my tools were imperial. But after my dad died I also inherited his collection of tools. including quite a lot of whitworth sizes. I have friends who are restoring a suite of DMUs and have found that I can sometimes supply a real oddball spanner/socket.

Most of my micrometers/ height guage and bore guages are imperial and would never be replaced. If I need to make a measurement what is 30 seconds with a calculator going to cost me compared to buying replacements?.

I still think and visualise in imperial to me a foot and inch are useful lengths and fondly remember cutting to thous and grinding to 10th of a thous

yes I do calculate in metric but then convert back to imperial to see what I am getting. and a total BOLLOX to kilometres they will have us driving on the wrong side of the road oneday. Biggest metric rip offs

Fuel in Litres have you seen how much per gallon we now pay I was going to sell my car when petrol went over 10 bob a gallon

meat/veg in supermarkets in kg/£

but worst of all went to my local newsagent and ordered a quarter of LIONS midget gems to nibble at the footy. "How may grams is that.?" says the lass behind the corner. 4 ounce says I.
Old 26-05-05, 08:17 AM   #6
Anonymous

And for any readers wondering, here's a pic of Tim I found earlier

Seriously tho, I now teach (in the loose sense of the word) people who have no idea at all about the metric system (and a lot of other things, goes without saying).
Old 26-05-05, 08:18 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

B'stard

I have couple of pounds of meat still on my ribs. But quite a good likeness

I also realised when talking with my kids the other day why they did their table upto 10 and I had to do them to 12 as kid. So I would be proficient with my LSD
Old 26-05-05, 09:33 AM   #8
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
I also realised when talking with my kids the other day why they did their table upto 10 and I had to do them to 12 as kid. So I would be proficient with my LSD
Whooaa! A Superstar! I only ever took my LSD one at a time...in twelves must have been quite a trip....
Old 26-05-05, 09:38 AM   #9
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
Quote:
Whooaa! A Superstar! I only ever took my LSD one at a time...in twelves must have been quite a trip....

There was a news item the other month about drugs being no longer sold on the street in 'eighths' etc. All metric now apparently
Old 26-05-05, 09:58 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
Quote:
I aways thought that whoever devised the Librae, Solidi, Denarii (pounds, shillings, pence) must have been on a bad trip that day.

Even worse my father always submitted his fee notes in guinnea. I suppose decimalisation has made things easier. but I still say BOLLOX to metric