SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-06-22, 10:47 AM   #1
daktulos

Default A question for our American/EU colleagues

As someone who lives in the UK, where we drive on the correct (left) side of the road, mounting a bike on its side-stand has always seemed natural. It only occurred to me recently that motorcycles built for right-hand drive markets also have the side-stand on the left.

So if driving on the right, and you pull over, do you get on/off into the middle of the road, or do you get on/off the side opposite to the side-stand?

Either way seems a bit awkward ... just curious!

Thanks.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-22, 01:11 PM   #2
GeorgeRYoung

Default Re: A question for our American/EU colleagues

For both horses and motorcycles, you mount and dismount from the left.
Old 26-06-22, 11:37 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

This is one of the most brilliant questions I've ever seen. Genuinely intrigued as to the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung View Post
For both horses and motorcycles, you mount and dismount from the left.
But why the left?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-22, 05:45 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

As someone who lived in the US for 20+ years it seems an odd question. Most of the time when I get on/off my bike I'm at home/at a petrol station/in a shopping centre car park/at work. Speaking as a short person, the road camber helped getting on/off when I was on the right (hand) side of the road - the bike leaned less and required less effort to pull it to vertical.
Here in the UK, it makes me nervous if I stop on a steep camber, the side stand is down but the bike seems to lean...and lean before the stand touches the ground.

Perhaps a better question would be - which foot do you put down first? It would make sense in the UK (with my vertically challenged body) to put my right foot down first but here and in the US I put my left foot down first.

I used to ride horses, too, and I'm trying to visualise mounting from the other side (and failing). Does it affect left handed people more?

Edit: from Horse and Rider. "Mounting from the left is just tradition. Soldiers would mount up on their horses left sides so that their swords, anchored over their left legs, wouldn't harm their horses' backs. But you're trail riding, not heading into battle. Make sure your horse is comfortable with you mounting and dismounting on either side."

Last edited by Seeker; 27-06-22 at 05:47 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-22, 06:13 AM   #5
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
"Mounting from the left is just tradition. Soldiers would mount up on their horses left sides so that their swords, anchored over their left legs, wouldn't harm their horses' backs."
Swords are also apparently the reason why we drive on the left - so that people would pass on their sword-hand side.

I think if I was stopping to put my side-stand down, it'd have to be on the right foot as the left needs to be free to move the stand.

I tend to worry more about the bike being too close to vertical (meaning less weight on the stand and so less stable) than being too leaned over.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-22, 03:01 PM   #6
Kenzie

Kerb side, safer.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 11:25 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Perhaps a better question would be - which foot do you put down first? It would make sense in the UK (with my vertically challenged body) to put my right foot down first but here and in the US I put my left foot down first.
you should always have your right foot on your rear brake so its always left foot down first.

getting on and off i use the foot rests like stirrups of a horse to get on/off the bike and yes i'm very vertically challenged.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 08:54 PM   #8
redtrummy

Fell off the SV twice by managing to step on the sidestand foot projection - luckily a broken lever only damage done
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote