SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-06-22, 07:25 PM   #1
Snowks

Exclamation Sv650 clutch slipping (clutch mantra doesnt fix it)

Pretty much my 2006 sv650s clutch has been slipping, I managed to fix this a while ago by adjusting the clutch cable (clutch mantra) which fixed it for about a week or two, the issue returned, I then replaced all the friction and
steel plates with new ones, and did the clutch mantra again, the bike runs fine for the first 5-10 mins, but once its up to temperature it starts slipping when I twist the throttle. I'm out of ideas of what it could possibly be other than the clutch cable has stretched over time (bike has 58000km and I doubt its ever been replaced) but other than that I have no clue. (I'm not very mechanically inclined)

it only starts slipping when the bike warms up and I can smell the plates burning.

Any help would be appreciated I'm genuinely stumped.
Snowks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 08:29 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650 clutch slipping (clutch mantra doesnt fix it)

The clutch mantra?

If you can smell the clutch plates burning thats really not good. First off have you checked the oil level?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 09:54 PM   #3
Snowks

Clutch mantra: https://www.svrider.com/threads/faq-...-mantra.54588/

and oil level is good, I'm using 15W40 MA2 which the manual says its a good alternative to 10W40 that is supposed to be used.
Snowks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 06:16 AM   #4
glang

What about the springs that clamp the clutch plates together - did you check/replace these as if weak they wont give enough force to stop the plates slipping....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 10:05 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So if you've adjusted the clutch cable and actuator correctly and it still operates correctly, then I'd be having to look into the clutch in more detail.

Check the springs are within spec and the main clutch nut is tight in that the tab washer is on there, and also not too tight (correct torque). Other things to check will be that you have all the correct thrust washers and spacers in there. If you've changed the clutch pack there is a chance that something isnt in there correctly or is missing. These things happen. I'd be thinking about pulling all apart again and going through the process with a manual in detail.

I've had a few clutch problems over the years, and correct adjustment usually fixes it. I have had some others but the clutch is not a usual issue on these bikes.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-22, 09:35 PM   #6
EssEllTwo

If the cable has stretched, it won't cause it to slip, you'll have the opposite, it won't release the clutch properly and will drag when you have the lever pulled to the bar.

Is the outer basket ok? If it badly worn and notched, the plates could be sticking and not allowing the springs to fully engage the pack. If you can smell the plates burning, you should see the steels colouring up, either bluing through heat or brown/black with oil burnt on to them. Are they all burnt or just one or two of them?

As per Glang, check the springs also.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 01:34 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

See if this helps,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650ClutchLifter.html
Old 06-07-22, 06:12 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

2 possibles spring to mind.
You must ensure that the screw adjuster/locknut which operates on the end of the pushrod has enough slack such that it doesn't go tight when the engine heats up. When adjusted correctly you should be able to lift the end of the operating arm where the cable fits by several mm before it takes up all the slack. The "mantra" as you call it says that with the cable fully slackened off, and thus the operating lever fully against the stop, to back the adjusting screw out by 1/4 turn from just making contact.
After setting this the cable can be adjusted, again this must always maintain some slack so it is not putting any load on the pushrod.

The other issue is the oil type. Are you using a bike specific oil which has "JASO-MA" on the label. This is the standard showing it is suitable for use with a wet clutch. Car type oils with friction modifiers can make the clutch slip.