SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-09, 06:41 PM   #1
MG#43

Default K3 idling issues

Hi,

I have a prob with my bike. I'm sure it's a schoolboy error, but I think i've checked the normal stuff and am now struggling as to what to try next. The engine starts but then it goes straight up to 6.5k rpm then stays there, it will rev ok from there. I've adjusted the cables and the adjusters on the throttle bodies right down for max slack, as well as the idle adjustment, but it's made no difference. The cables have plenty of play, aren't tight, and look almost unused, as do the throttle bodies.
Should i take the throttle cables off and see what happens perhaps?

Can anyone help?? thanks!!
Old 11-06-09, 06:53 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: K3 idling issues

Take them off, try it then..put them back on.

Won't do any harm, surely?
Old 11-06-09, 07:29 PM   #3
MG#43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
Take them off, try it then..put them back on.

Won't do any harm, surely?
agreed mate!
Old 12-06-09, 01:32 AM   #4
xXBADGERXx

The bike is going into fast Idle but at this time of the year it should back off after a very short time due to the fast Idle being temperature sensitive . I would not take the throttle bodies apart as the manual states that you need to keep the link plates together .... if you do remove them then take them off the bike as a matched pair . Have you tried touching the bodies with a screwdriver whilst running and see if they "Click" back into place , mine used to stick a little bit `til I lubed the pivots on them but this was nearer the point where they were almost home .
Old 12-06-09, 09:10 AM   #5
MG#43

i've since realised i forgot to connect the pipe that goes from the throttle bodies to the air temp sensor will this be the cause?? i did say it would be a school boy error??? hope this is it, won't be able to check tho for a couple of days as the only battery i have is with me and my other bike
Old 12-06-09, 03:00 PM   #6
xXBADGERXx

That has got to be the prime culprit , I started my bike up this morning and straight away it went to 1.5k Idle as it isn`t cold enough to go to fast Idle , if you are not sending the Temperature signal to the ECU then it will probably sit there at fast Idle until told otherwise .
Old 13-06-09, 06:58 PM   #7
MG#43

For anyone interested, this is now sorted, though only a change of throttle bodies sorted it (had an old grubby set knocking about). Disconnecting the throttle cables done nothing, as did connecting the pipe to the air sensor or swapping the ecu, same issue each time. Something on the throttle body unit wasn't happy, throttle position sensor perhaps or something?? though the factory markings hadn't been moved (by the look of it). It likes it old grubby one's anyway so it's all good!! cheers!!

Last edited by MG#43; 13-06-09 at 07:00 PM.
Old 13-06-09, 07:05 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

6500 rpm is not a fast idle - 2500 rpm is a fast idle. 6500 rpm is Destructive Idle!

Glad you got it sorted, but it could have been expensive...how much are new throttle bodies?
Old 13-06-09, 07:25 PM   #9
MG#43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
6500 rpm is not a fast idle - 2500 rpm is a fast idle. 6500 rpm is Destructive Idle!

Glad you got it sorted, but it could have been expensive...how much are new throttle bodies?
new doesn't even bare thinking about!!! used ebay jobs £35>, tho the one's i got were lemon or there's poss a difference in settings between k3-k4 v k5... (older one's worked ok but all look the same to me)..?

Last edited by MG#43; 13-06-09 at 07:26 PM.