SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-11-21, 01:49 PM   #10151
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

It's funny that the U-turn happened after the Daily Mail's screaming "Shameless MPs Sink Back Into Sleaze" headline on its front page this morning, together with a damning criticism of Johnson for instructing MPs to vote down Paterson's suspension. Entirely coincidental, I'm sure.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 11:00 PM   #10152
svenrico

Brit, Swede, Fin , Paki, Aussie . Why should one of these be considered a racial slur ?
(At least when used in Yorkshire ! )
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 11:16 PM   #10153
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Brit, Swede, Fin , Aussie never had violence associated with them. The use of the slur "Paki" has a long history of associated violence and racial intolerance. I can remember it being used by people with the most horrific racist views as a term to describe anyone with a brown skin. It's no more acceptable to use it than to call someone a "nigger".
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 12:11 AM   #10154
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Brit, Swede, Fin , Aussie never had violence associated with them. The use of the slur "Paki" has a long history of associated violence and racial intolerance.
Not so sure about that. Mentioning no names but there have been certain groups/organisations that considered any 'Brit' as a legitimate target, and most British people I would say aren't that bothered about being called a Brit.
It depends on the context and how it is said.
Old 06-11-21, 06:47 AM   #10155
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Brit, Swede, Fin , Aussie never had violence associated with them. The use of the slur "Paki" has a long history of associated violence and racial intolerance. I can remember it being used by people with the most horrific racist views as a term to describe anyone with a brown skin. It's no more acceptable to use it than to call someone a "nigger".
Totally agree - it's about skin colour, not nationality - no one using the word would genuinely apologise if someone said "actually, I'm Indian" etc. so really it's not about nationality.

What about "yank" for Americans?
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 08:03 AM   #10156
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Grrr, shaken off the effects of the covid booster and have immediately gone down with a cold. Just done a self test to make sure that's all it is and the test shows negative. Small mercies I suppose.....
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 09:40 AM   #10157
Bibio
Mega Poster

skin colour abuse only bothers those that have a hang up about it.

we dont call it the corner shop up here its the pakis e.g. "go to the pakies and get some milk". by and large we all get along up here in Jockland but we dont have the problem of massive communities of ethnics that England does. We are not racist in Scotland we just dont like anyone and if your an ******* we will use any means/slander to get someone riled up, its how we are. jeeezz we even do it amongst best mates so people can mistake it for an argument.

there are plenty names for white people that coloured people use so its not one sided. the most recast people i have ever met are Middle England (Burnley area) Muslims. i was shocked at just how recast they were.

personally i dont care what colour you are as long as your nice to me.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 11:49 AM   #10158
embee
Mega Poster

People the world over are tribal and racist, they (we) tend to identify with our chosen or given group whether it is "caste", tribe, country, skin colour, religion, football team, political party, sexuality, intellect, belief in climate change, support of Brexit, whatever. The UK is relatively benign compared to many other countries.

People will always manage to find some excuse to be aggressive or even belligerent to another group. Unfortunately this technique is often used by would-be political leaders, seeking to stoke populism and nationalism by pointing a finger at some other group and blaming them for all your ills. Sadly it works.

Personally I find it hypocritical and grossly offensive that here in the UK, while it is broadly (at least superficially) frowned upon and condemned to be overtly discriminatory towards people of another skin colour or religion or sexuality, but it is effectively accepted, encouraged almost, and greeted with slaps on the back and shouts of bravo when even the great and good, the media both written and broadcast, are overtly offensive and derogatory towards other European people, in particular French and German folk. It's just different shades of the same inherent bigotry and hatred.
Old 07-11-21, 07:46 PM   #10159
svenrico

Going back to the original controversy, England test matches have now been banned from being held at Yorkshire's Headingley ground. Would they have been so keen to ban test matches at Lords if Middlesex county cricket club had been involved in the controversy, or The Oval if it had been Surrey ?! I don't think so.
And now they will be depriving a large group of Asian cricket supporters of seeing their local hero Adil Rashid playing for England (if he was selected ) on his home ground. Adil Rashid by the way has done well playing for Yorkshire and England.
And Michael Vaughan the former Yorkshire and England cricketer has been kicked off the BBC before the allegations against him have even been investigated !
Old 07-11-21, 07:50 PM   #10160
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
skin colour abuse only bothers those that have a hang up about it.
we dont call it the corner shop up here its the pakis e.g. "go to the pakies and get some milk". exactly, it doesn't have to be a term of abuse by and large we all get along up here in Jockland but we dont have the problem of massive communities of ethnics that England does. We are not racist in Scotland we just dont like anyone and if your an ******* we will use any means/slander to get someone riled up, its how we are. jeeezz we even do it amongst best mates so people can mistake it for an argument. that's banter,that some can't seem to accept exists
there are plenty names for white people that coloured people use so its not one sided. the most recast people i have ever met are Middle England (Burnley area) Muslims. i was shocked at just how recast they were.
personally i dont care what colour you are as long as your nice to me.
some good points - my comments above in brown !