SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-12-08, 10:42 PM   #1
TightRS

Default Need a new throttle tube

Had a small mishap trimming the throttle tube to fit my hotgrips, with a chisel I got the small ring on the right side of it off fine, but I went a bit overboard with the large triangular bit on its left side (right through to the bar).

The best bit was I tried fixing it with glue and superglued the hotgrip on after. It sheered off after about 3 hard twists and stuck fast in the hotgrip. Should you do this you will require: WD-40, a hammer, 19mm socket, extension bar, letter opener, 12V to heat it up and an hour of your free time.

Is there a throttle tube I can buy that requires no mods for fitting Oxford Hotgrips ontop? Like from a different bike, or a curvy/naked SV? It's either that or I buy the original + a Dremel but I don't fancy breaking another one.

Oh and is there a glue I could use to fit them instead that's possible to remove in future?
Old 22-12-08, 11:43 PM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need a new throttle tube

I found the best way to remove the triangular bit of the throttle tube was to stand it on its side with the triangular bit near the bottom and saw it into a 50p shape with a junior hacksaw blade. Then slice the remaining corners off and file/sand it to make it neat.

I still had to chop the ends off my heated grips tho. These were cheapy ones, not Oxfords.
Old 23-12-08, 10:13 AM   #3
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need a new throttle tube

Yes there is a throttle tube that needs no mods, the R6 throttle. Plus with the added bonus of doing the R6 throttle mod at the same time. Cheap as chips from any Yam dealer, bout £8. Do a search on the org, plenty of threads on the mod.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote