SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-04-09, 11:46 PM   #1
Mrs_giggles

Angry not about bikes but i want to know this....

why do some drivers not understand the stop signal?????

This is what happend was walking my horse down a single lane private road(it has layby'sfor passing due to a resturant being at the top) and i saw comming towards me a large lorry and a car, car was infront of lorry, man driving lorry stops at layby at my signal to stop old man driving car carries on towards me and seems to speed up so i signal again still not stopping so after screaming at him to stop he eventually stops and reverses back to layby, when i get there i stop and ask him why he did not stop i got
"you could have passed me youronly on a small horse"
he seemed to have missed the point if i am signalling to stop there is a reason, i point this out to him he looks confused then agrees i was right,
" i told him that yes there is the room to pass but my horse has not been around too much traffic and is lilvey and i did not want to scratch his car or have an accident..ie my horse going mad at prospect of haing to squeeze past car and lorry, i also dutifelly informed him that due to my grandad jointly owning the land i had more right to be there than him,, that put his nose outta joint.
SO WHY IS IT THAT SOME DRIVERS NOT KNOW THE STOP SIGN OR JUST DONT THINK HORSES ARE EASILY SCARED JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT IN A FEILD????????
Sorry for rant but i was pretty ****ed
Old 24-04-09, 11:51 PM   #2
Thingus

Default Re: not about bikes but i want to know this....

Yeeeaaaaah agreed, but some people don't like being told what to do... especially when they're in a car, on the road, and you're on a Horsey, on the road. Have you been riding them on the road long? This can't be the first person to annoy you when you're riding.

BTW i will hold the clutch in and roll by any Horse, but when the person on top waves their arms about like i should get off and push it past i just get annoyed and go by slowly shouting into my helmet.

S'all good IMO. You get one idiot you get a hundred nice people i'm sure.
Old 24-04-09, 11:59 PM   #3
Mrs_giggles

Thats the thing you see i was not on the road, i havent ridden a horse on the road since 2000 when i was involved in a horrific car accident and my horse was killed, i was on a private lane leading up to houses, it even has a sign at the bottom showing horses to warn people. but before 2000 i rode on the public roads for as long as i can remember and its not like its quiet roads, its a main road and very busy.
Old 25-04-09, 12:04 AM   #4
Mrs_giggles

thankyou for saying you will dip clutch and nois not the first person its just usally its not so obvious, like not slowing down enough ie slowing down to pass close and thinking 30mph is slow enough, road had sped limit at 40 mph but its never adheard to as its so long and windy great for going fast,he was comming straight at me.
i dont expect people to stop engines just to use there noggin on occasions
Old 25-04-09, 12:11 AM   #5
Thingus

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Tarmac's tarmac i guess and people won't accept that it's not just for cars... (heck we ride bikes we know all about that).

I'd just take the rough with the smooth and get as much road experience with the horsey so it can become used to it

Oh and yeh some people don't know what to do with horses, especially newer drivers or people used to the city.
Old 25-04-09, 12:14 AM   #6
Mrs_giggles

thanks
Old 25-04-09, 12:14 AM   #7
Baph

I understand completely where you're coming from.

Granted not the exact situation, but as some folks know, on rideouts I'm more than happy to stop traffic so the group can get out in one go. There's a large percentage of people that get hacked off at being told what to do.

Specifically about horses, there's a local hunt that starts pretty regularly from about 20m away from my front door. All they do is trot 20m or so down the road, then they're in the fields.

If I'm about at the time, and I'm not in a rush, I've parked the car blocking the road & switched the engine off until the hunt has left before now. Not only does it let the kids see the horses getting ready & departing etc, but it gets me free pints in the village pub.

If I'm in a rush, then I just gentle go past them all, giving everyone loads of space.
Old 25-04-09, 12:19 AM   #8
Mrs_giggles

this is why i like bikers they have a much wider perception of the world around then than just cage drivers
Old 25-04-09, 03:04 AM   #9
davepreston

give me their number plate my love problem solved
Old 25-04-09, 05:29 AM   #10
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I always slow right down and coast past horses.

Although partly to get a smile and a wave from the often fit girly in the saddle.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote