SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-04-08, 05:42 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default BBC Weather

Two weekends ago: Forecast - Heavy rain - Real weather - Sunshine
Last weekend: Forecast - Heavy rain - Real weather - Sunshine
Today's forecast - Heavy rain - Real weather - Sunshine
Weekend's forecast - Heavy rain.....

I'm beginning to think they're all pessimists, or motorcycle riders trying to keep the roads free.

BBC Weather
Old 11-04-08, 05:47 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: BBC Weather

i don't bother with the weather forecast now they are usually wrong, outside now its sunny in walsall and the forecast is heavy rain?
Old 11-04-08, 06:26 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

We've got the full facilities of the met office at Exeter and London at our disposal, a pretty impressive met system of our own which fires lasers at clouds and other clever stuff, and whats pinned on the wall?
The BBC 5 day forecast.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 06:33 PM   #4
Pedro68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
The BBC 5 day forecast.
... which is a joke ... it changes every day ...

Now understandably, perhaps it changes because the "likely" forecast can become more accurate with each passing day. However, if they can't forecast 5 days ahead with at least SOME degree of accuracy, then why bother with a 5 day forecast?!

Bit like predicting the winners of the FA Cup, and then changing your selection once your original selection gets knocked out.

Far better off only looking a day or two ahead ... any further ahead and it all becomes fairly pointless.
Old 11-04-08, 06:53 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

nope Look North( our local BBC) gets it pretty much spot on......said there would be sunny spells with showers of rain and snow

I got sunny spells with showers of rain, hail and big flake snow.... Yorkshire has a good bloke doin weather

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 07:54 PM   #6
muffles

I got so annoyed with the BBC weather report a few months ago (last year maybe - can't quite remember) that I sent a complaint in. I actually got a reply by email, and they cc'd the MET office for their comments! And then they replied too! I can't remember what the answer was though, I think they gave some stats that the 5th day was only 40% accurate or something.
Old 11-04-08, 10:09 PM   #7
Ed

The 5 day forecast is just a joke, so inaccurate. But look at day 1 of the 5 day and compare with the 24 hour - and often it bearsno relation to it.

Best weather site is one admin gave me

www.accuweather.co.uk

I'm going out 2mz and I don't care if it's raining as I can't stand being cooped up any longer. I'm going down the cafe at Quatt.
Old 11-04-08, 11:25 PM   #8
ogden
Mega Poster

Last saturday it said it was going to rain, but we figured sod it and went out anyway. It poured down for about 25 minutes of the ride, but the rest was OK.

It's April in the British Isles. The weather's changeable. What on earth do you expect?
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 11:51 PM   #9
Tim in Belgium

A 5min period detailed forecast over the next 120 hrs for every square mile of the UK, is that too much to ask?
Old 12-04-08, 06:30 AM   #10
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
Last saturday it said it was going to rain, but we figured sod it and went out anyway. It poured down for about 25 minutes of the ride, but the rest was OK.

It's April in the British Isles. The weather's changeable. What on earth do you expect?
At the end of the day though, weather IS predictable. That's if you have the necessary measuring tools (which possibly don't exist yet) and are able to draw the correct conclusions from the measured data (again that may not exist fully yet). I'd just rather they admit they aren't up to accurately measuring the weather to that kind of detail yet!