SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-07-14, 08:24 PM   #1
Andydrz

Smile Pointy reg/rec wires getting hot

Hi there,
I've been lurking on these pages for a while now in a bid to keep my lads bike on the road, so sorry that this is my first post, and I'm asking for help!

It's an '03 pointy and I've just put a third reg/rec in it. The previous 2 were 2nd hand so just thought that they've passed their prime. After I fitted the 2nd one I had the wiring checked by a mechanic and all the readings were spot on.

Since then I've found that the 4 wires coming out of the rec (2 black/red, 2 black/white) are getting very hot after a couple of minutes, which have probably cooked the previous units.

After trawling through these boards, I have checked the connector, the green ignition barrel plug and run a couple of extra earths to the battery and frame from the rec but no difference.

All I can think now is buy another loom or get an electrician in. Any ideas please?

Thanks.... Andy
Old 24-07-14, 08:45 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Pointy reg/rec wires getting hot

How hot is hot? A bit warmer than you might expect is normal, but if they're properly hot the likely cause is the female connectors are dirty or not clamping the male part correctly - the resulting resistance causes heat. Clean everything carefully, and close the female connectors up a bit so they effectively hold the make part firmly.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-14, 09:16 PM   #3
Andydrz

Default Re: Pointy reg/rec wires getting hot

Sorry for the late reply. They get too hot to touch eventually. I have bought a new 4-way socket from Halfords as the original looks impossible to clean properly. Both black/white wires look burnt. I would have had it done tonight if I could find my flux to solder the wire extensions in.

The moral of the day is: don't tidy your garage, you won't find anything ever again ;0)

Last edited by Andydrz; 28-07-14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 28-07-14, 12:11 PM   #4
Andydrz

New connector block fitted last night, wires no longer getting hot, SUCCESS!

But...
I tidied up the wiring and re-routed the extra wire from the rectifier to the positive terminal on the battery, but didn't remove the earth wire before doing so. A spark or two but nothing major. Went to take the bike out for a test run and now all I get is the neutral light on and nothing else. Have I buggered up the starter solenoid by being a bit lazy? Battery voltage is good and all fuses ok. This bike is beginning to do my head in :0/

Last edited by Andydrz; 28-07-14 at 12:13 PM.
Old 28-07-14, 03:30 PM   #5
tj2

Probably blown the main fuse by the starter solenoid..... is separate from other fuses.
Located under r/h (o/s) seat infill
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-14, 11:29 PM   #6
Andydrz

It's a pointy, I thought the 30 amp fuse (checked ok) was under the riders seat or is there another?
Old 29-07-14, 05:59 AM   #7
tj2

Yeah that's the one I was on about..... derr sorry yes under the seat (its been a while since I had one)
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-14, 06:41 AM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Pointy reg/rec wires getting hot

What "extra wire from the rectifier"?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 11:07 PM   #9
Andydrz

The rectifier I bought from Wemoto has an extra wire straight to the positive on the battery.
I've mucked around with it a bit today but no joy. Swapped the starter solenoid and fitted a spare ecu, but no change. Sometimes the neutral light stays on after the ignition switch is turned off. I also noticed when I reconnected the battery and turned the ignition on, the rev counter went to 7k and then back down again?
Old 08-08-14, 10:08 PM   #10
Andydrz

Problem fixed!
The main earth lead connection under the rear of the fuel tank was dodgy, and I must of disturbed it when routing the extra wire to the battery.