SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-05-09, 12:42 PM   #1
jimmy__riddle

Default test rides

with a private test ride, if the bike is no longer insured whats the best way to be covered? get the person taking the test ride to take out insurance, then if they dont buy, cancel it?

what would happen if they claimed to have insurance but it wasnt valid? can fixed ANPR have any comeback or for insurance does it have to be a police interaction in person?
Old 05-05-09, 02:48 PM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: test rides

well.....

alot of insurance policies cover riders to ride other bikes on a "3rd party only" basis (I know mine with motorcycledirect does). That means I can ride another persons bike on the road as long as it is taxed and MOT'd, as my policy is covering the sellers bike 3rd party.

I'm 99% certain ANPR camera's would pick the bike up as being uninsured, so if you do get a test ride make sure you take all your own doc's with you to cover your own back in the event of a pull. Licence (both parts), insurance certificate for your own bike and full contact details for the owner (i.e. where the bike is currently registerred to) and a mobile number so they can speak directly to him if they want to confirm that you've not nicked it etc...

The problem arises where a bike is sorn'd as it's obviously not taxed and could well be out of MOT. In that instance, you'd be unable to take it on the road without risking it..

Hope some of this helps

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 03:21 PM   #3
jimmy__riddle

cool thanks
Old 05-05-09, 03:52 PM   #4
Paws

bike itself has to be insured, riding other bikes tpo ONLY covers you if you hit a tp
Old 05-05-09, 03:58 PM   #5
carty

Paul, I'm pretty sure the bike has to already be insured by someone else for your insurance to cover it 3rd party.
Old 05-05-09, 05:13 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
bike itself has to be insured, riding other bikes tpo ONLY covers you if you hit a tp
Not necessarily, it depends on your insurance policy. Read the small print on the certificate and/or on the schedule. It will specifically say if that is the case. If it simply says that the policy holder may also ride/drive vehicles not belonging to them etc then you will be OK.

Edit to add that you will only be Third party as above, it's just the other bike doesn't have to be insured in it's own right.

Last edited by Red Herring; 05-05-09 at 05:15 PM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 06:49 PM   #7
Paws

[quote=Red Herring;1895400]Not necessarily, it depends on your insurance policy. Read the small print on the certificate and/or on the schedule. It will specifically say if that is the case. If it simply says that the policy holder may also ride/drive vehicles not belonging to them etc then you will be OK.
[quote]

NOT TRUE!!!

i work for a bike ins so should know my stuff, the bike itself MUST be insured, the tp riding other bikes is something that some insurers will allow but the bike the rider is borrowing MUST be insured itself;

insurance

The "other" bike does not have to be insured. But it does have to be taxed and MOT'd. It is insured while you are on it. SO if you park up and get off, it is no longer insured.

This statement is incorrect.
Third party cover to ride another machine is only valid provided the other machine is insured, it is 'with the owners permission' this is clearly stated on every car or bike policy i've had and my wife worked for three high profile ins companies over several years.
Do not risk riding it if not correctly covered, excuses and didn't knows won't wash if you get pulled.
If the current owner is still insured then this type of cover will work, ask them to give you time to get home before cancelling their cover.
The easiest way however is to get your ins company to issue a temp cover note, they can if requested insure you for a set period and if any cost is applicable it should only a be a nominal fee.
Old 05-05-09, 07:00 PM   #8
Paws

Important stuff about 'riding other bikes' cover
A 'riding other motorcycles' extension covers you for third-party damage only or sometimes even less cover than that, i.e. the lowest cover possible, which is called Road Traffic Act cover. You can only use the extension if the bike is insured by its owner. Furthermore, once you park the vehicle using this extension, it's not insured at all till the owner re-takes possession!
One more thing, bear in mind that you don't automatically have this cover if you have a comprehensive policy. So check your insurance certificate to see if it's included.
Old 05-05-09, 07:30 PM   #9
ethariel

Or google for short term/1 day insurance, be about 10 to 30 quid depending on insurer.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 07:32 PM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Important stuff about 'riding other bikes' cover
A 'riding other motorcycles' extension covers you for third-party damage only or sometimes even less cover than that, i.e. the lowest cover possible, which is called Road Traffic Act cover. You can only use the extension if the bike is insured by its owner. Furthermore, once you park the vehicle using this extension, it's not insured at all till the owner re-takes possession!
One more thing, bear in mind that you don't automatically have this cover if you have a comprehensive policy. So check your insurance certificate to see if it's included.

I'd go with paws on this to be honest - she knows what she's on about

alot of people told me to blag a test ride at a dealer then go buy private. The dealer did a great price so I ended up buying from them directly could be worth a thought?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote