SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-10, 01:43 PM   #1
Cumfy

Default Dealing with the Insurers after an off.

Hey folks, well unfortunately trying to make my way down ot the GM3 to meet fellow orgers, I had my BIG off. Bike and I hit the armco steel barrier at the side of the road, and I used up a cat's life and walked away with the minimal of scratches, the bike however did not.

Now i've done the reporting of accident to my insurers and they are sending my bike back up the road to my nearest suzuki dealer and will assess it.

However I know nothing about how it works from here on in. Had fully comp and had lid and leather cover too - just as well as my kit is written off, but hey it did it's job!

So what I am asking is how does the insurers normally act in this situation and how am I to act/respond.

The bike is almost certainly a write off as the forks were bent and from the back board I saw the front cowl was pretty much gone, plus my luggage was damaged to the point of not usable again.

What do I get to claim for and how long can this processs take?

Lots of questions and am sure they've been answered before but woud appreciate any replies and advice.

Thanks in Advance

Cumfy

CHEERS!
Old 05-07-10, 01:56 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dealing with the Insurers after an off!!

The lid+leather will likely be a separate policy so you may have to submit a claim to whoever your policy broker subbed the risk out to

The bike will go to the dealer, and they will assess the damage. In my case I had an engineer visit my home where the bike was. Just answer any questions truthfully, although in my instance they didn't ask any

You can definitely claim the value of the bike, whether you can claim the value of the luggage depends on your insurer but I suspect the policy may have a clause that says they won't cover accessories fitted at the time of the accident

In my case, a simple fault claim took around 4-6weeks to complete, from the accident to me banking the cheque, but your mileage may vary. My premium is ~10% higher with the accident on record than it would be without it, all other things being equal...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 03:24 PM   #3
hongman

Just curious as to what happened, if you dont mind me asking. Hope you are ok.
Old 05-07-10, 04:04 PM   #4
Sally

Got the bike back yet?
Or is it still in Killin?

Forks are goosed, front cowl is badly beat up, lowers and snapped/cracked and have made their way backwards by a good few inches.

In the good news, can is reasonably ok, small dent and a wee scratch, nothing stubbying it won't cure

But yeah, in my opinion, sorry to say, I think it will be a write off.
Old 05-07-10, 04:09 PM   #5
Cumfy

Hongman, you are best askin young Sally there. I don't have total recall of what happened.

TLW, thanks for the input mate. Will wait and see if they are going to drag their heels or just go through with it in a swift manner.

Sally, think the bike is crawling up here, Shirlaws is supposed to be its destination, but they say they don't have sight of it yet, ah the joys.

Missing it terribly at the moment, especially as we are having dryish evenings.

Cheers
Old 05-07-10, 04:19 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumfy View Post
TLW, thanks for the input mate. Will wait and see if they are going to drag their heels or just go through with it in a swift manner.
Only hangup for you may be valuation, if you disagree with what they value the bike at you'll have to provide evidence to support a raised value - if you have time you might prepare it beforehand so you can submit it as soon as they send you their valuation letter...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 05-07-10, 04:31 PM   #7
Cumfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Only hangup for you may be valuation, if you disagree with what they value the bike at you'll have to provide evidence to support a raised value - if you have time you might prepare it beforehand so you can submit it as soon as they send you their valuation letter...
What would that entail TLW? Am not sure I am following, apologies am a bit slow on uptake.

Cheers
Old 05-07-10, 04:56 PM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumfy View Post
What would that entail TLW? Am not sure I am following, apologies am a bit slow on uptake.

Cheers
Your insurer will place a value on the bike pre-accident, this is the figure they're willing to pay out to you, in order to replace your bike

But obviously they want to pay the least they have to, so their 1st "offer" will almost certainly be on the low side, say £2500

You know the bike is worth more but in order to get the insurer to pay out you will need to show them things like adverts of similar bikes for sale, same mileage, year, etc etc - the closer they are in spec to your bike the better. You'll want to submit adverts that are on the high side, say £3500

Eventually you and the insurer will reach an agreed value somewhere in between, might be £3450, might be £2900 - but the more you want the more you'll have to fight them

Of course it doesn't always work out like that, my insurers offered me £300 more than I'd paid for the bike brand new, so even though it was below book value I accepted because I'd lost nothing and couldn't be arsed to fight them!!
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 05-07-10, 08:57 PM   #9
husky03
Mega Poster

mind the council might try to claim for any damage to there road"fixings"-was it not big ape that had something similar a few years ago
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote