SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-09-13, 06:56 PM   #1
Waza

Arrow SV650 09 speedo lights problem.

Hi guys new to the forum, my 09 sv650 has a problem with the speedo lights which I am trying to figure out. The neutral lights works, oil light works and fuel light works. However the indicators little green lights don't work but the actul indicator signals works as they should. The high beam light( blue logo) also doesn't show on speedo however the actul front light works, and lastly the speedo clocks don't illuminate, so can't ride in dark as I can't see the revs or speed.
- I've tried another working sv650 clocks which works on another sv650 fine but it doesn't work on mine and the same lights as mentioned dont work.

Does anyone have any idea of what my
Problem could be? Fuses? Bulbs or just wiring? Any help and knowledge is greatly appreciated or anyone who has similar problems that can help. Look forward to replies. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-13, 07:10 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650 09 speedo lights problem help!

all those things point at the left switchgear. as the items are working but the illumination is not it would suggest that there is a short after the switchgear. check the main loom going into the the clocks and trace it back to the main loom going into the headstock. also check the main clock connector for broken/missing/corroded pins, any sign of green or black fur is a bad sign.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 07:27 PM   #3
Waza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
all those things point at the left switchgear. as the items are working but the illumination is not it would suggest that there is a short after the switchgear. check the main loom going into the the clocks and trace it back to the main loom going into the headstock. also check the main clock connector for broken/missing/corroded pins, any sign of green or black fur is a bad sign.
Thanks for your reply, with the switch gear being bad would that mean when I toggle the indicators left and right the wouldn't work at all? Because the indicators lens work fine along with bean but the little lights on the speedo for them don't show, could this stil mean my left switchgear is faulty? Again thanks for your help
Old 06-09-13, 07:49 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

switchgear will be fine. it will be the loom wiring/connector from the headstock out to the clocks. check it for splits or rubbing then check the connector on the clocks for 'furring'
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 10:03 PM   #5
Waza

Ok thanks for the mate, if there was to be a bad connection in the wiring, what wires would I need to look for in terms of getting the indicators, high beam and clock illumination on the speedo? I've ran a search on the Internet and there's alot of different wires for sale, there's not really a
Bike electrician that I can take my bike to as there's none local so it's difficult to get te problem identified, I can only research around myself and try to replace whatever is bad with a new part. Thanks again
Old 07-09-13, 12:31 AM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Sv650 09 speedo lights problem help!

From what you say the obvious suspect is the neutral supply to the clocks, (often referred to as an 'earth').
The things that aren't working are the ones that share a common permanent neutral and separated switched lives, the ones that are working are the ones that share a common permanent live and separate switched neutrals. So while it is conceivably possible that perhaps you have a number of discrete but coincidental failures, Occam's Razor suggests looking for a single fault.
Thus suspect number one is the black and white wire to the clocks.
Switchgear and connections cannot be the cause of the high beam light particularly not working, as the lights and telltale share a common feed from the fuse board, not the switchgear.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote