SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-15, 07:43 AM   #11
sputnik

Default Re: Ride position K4 SVS

My pointy crucified my wrists for the first month or two (and as for my poor botty!...) But it just improved over time, I guess as a result of familiarity, muscle changes and a bit of technique.

As Bibio says, drop you elbows, shift your shoulders forward (seems counter intuitive), let your core muscles work more and your arms less. Oh, and really work on loosening your grip - hands just resting on bars, not gripping for dear life. Lever adjustment has helped some people.
Old 18-07-15, 07:45 AM   #12
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
Moving the levers either up or down helps as it straightens the wrist whilst braking and clutching.
This /\/\/\

I got a K6 S model a month ago, after 17 years of owning a 'classic' GT380. My wrists were aching like mad after the ride home. Adjusted the levers down to a better position and it made a big difference.

Still get aches if pottering around / riding around town but as soon as I'm going over 50mph on the open road it's fine. A lot of it is just getting used to using different muscles.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-15, 12:43 PM   #13
Heorot

When I first got my SV after passing my test, I would grip far too hard because I wasn't used to the power and I suffered a lot from pain in my hands and wrists, particularly in my left hand where I broke a bone 40 years ago. Once I learned to stop gripping so hard, the pain went away.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-15, 11:13 AM   #14
GeoffB

I rode mine for years with no problem. Then swapped the scooped seat that the previous lady owner had put on for an original spec seat and had the symptoms you describe. The scooped seat is at least an inch lower. I've swapped back to the scooped seat and just that change in the angles has got me reasonably comfy again.
Also agree with the advice about brake and clutch levers above. Try to get the back of your hand in line with your forearm when working the levers.

Extremely standard Black 1999 SV650S and a Royal Enfield Bullet 350
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 08:19 AM   #15
toshy595

Many thanks Guys for all the positive & helpful feed back, got arms bent position in development with no probs a hands... Cheers for the help much appreciated👍👍👍