SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-03-15, 03:28 PM   #1
Foot

Default New battery

Hello. Think I left my parking light on for the last couple of weeks when I've not been using my bike and I think the battery is done for... it's 100% dead (the alarm light doesn't flash at all) . Gonna leave it to charge for a day (just with the cheapo trickle charge I have), see if that helps but I'm not hopeful, since I get the impression when batteries fully discharge they're done for.
So anyway, any suggestions of which battery to get?

Yuasa seems best, but there might be a better deal if any of you know.

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...ctGroupID=2047

Foot.
Old 21-03-15, 04:50 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: New battery

mine goes fully discharged in the winter but recovers ok again. reduces the lifespan of them though. it will need more than a day and mine usually takes about 1-2 week to fully recover using an oxford oximiser.

i got a new battery last year and the other one was the original 6 years old and i done the same to that one every year.

have fun with your alarm
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-15, 04:10 PM   #3
Foot

Battery has definitely given up. So any other suggestions other than a yuasa battery? Anything else I'll need?
What is the lube which is put on the terminals?
Old 25-03-15, 04:15 PM   #4
ophic
Mega Poster

There's another battery that fits and is generally better, higher CCA and capacity. YTX14 or something like that - I can tell you exactly when I get home as it's sat on my charger right now.

I tend to go for Varta or some other well known brand as Yuasa seem to have a premium price attached to the name.
Old 25-03-15, 04:17 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

found the order in my email - YTZ14S fits a pointy.
Old 30-03-15, 12:08 AM   #6
Steph1972

"Yuasa seem to have a premium price attached to the name"

Yes I just paid £64.00 for a Yuasa at my local dealer which I thought was rather expensive but I needed it for the MOT the following day.

Like yourself every year mine goes dead over winter and usually a full charge fixes it, though this year when I put it on charge it read a full charge right away. I suspected something was up. Overnight charge and the voltage on my voltmeter read 12 odd volts so I thought it was ok, however under crank the votlage dropped.. the cells were not providing the amps the engine required to start. I think best practise would be to remove the battery over a non use spell and keep it somewhere warm then recharge it or better still ride your bike over the winter every second week for a few hours. Batteries dont like loosing their charge!
Old 30-03-15, 09:20 AM   #7
atassiedevil

I'd get a motobatt. Gives you a ton more cranking amps, and they're sealed so less hassle.
Usually cheaper than the yuasa equivalent too.
Old 30-03-15, 11:38 AM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
...and they're sealed so less hassle.
They're all sealed.
Old 30-03-15, 02:57 PM   #9
aesmith

I went for Motobatt, but I'm not sure I'd do so again as there are more points of failure in the connections - one screw holding the terminal "block" (actually a bit of folded metal) onto the battery, and a separate screw holding the lead onto the "block". The position of the terminals also means you need more clearance around the battery if you don't want the leads touching something.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 02:52 PM   #10
Foot

Motobatt it was. £45 is pretty good, gets more cranking power than most batteries around that price. I get what you mean about there being a lot of things which could go wrong on it, I agree, but then are the terminals that likely to get battered about (or battery-eed about..)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
have fun with your alarm
Did not disappoint.