SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-09-09, 09:53 AM   #1
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default Advice from fellow colleagues ...

... oh the rest of ya no doubt

After a bad set of shifts at work I opened my emails at home yesterday to find I have been selected for an advanced driving course which has cheered me up no end as it will help me getting into the bike team, multi role job which needs advanced skills.

But then I go to work last night and my dream job of a dog handler is being advertised. I speak to my dog handler on my shift and the vacancy is on MY shift with my mates and colleagues .. BONUS

Do I apply ? I have Samson to consider and although he is my baby he is a bad boy with other dogs bigger than him and I don't want to have to get rid of my pet for a work dog but I won't know until I get the job if he is OK with the dog I bring home.

But apart from the bikes it's the job I want to do !!!

Arrgggghhhh why oh why is life difficult.

Tonight I am training with dog handler to see if I can handle a German Shepherd and she is gonna show me what to do, I am having the sleave on and being chewed 1st so may be off sick after tonight with one arm less

Ohhhhhh do I or don't I apply ???

Come on mighty org .... tried to talk to Samson but he just huffed and went to sleep
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-09, 09:59 AM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice from fellow colleagues ...

No harm in applying for both Shell.
I think you and Samson would perhaps benefit from the Dog handling training, but in honesty I think you'd be much better at cars than dogs..please please don't take that the wrong way
Then again I aren't up to speed with how you're coping with Samson now, and if you were, Samson wouldn't have an issue with bigger dogs these days.
Just the tuppence worth, ignore at your will hun

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-09, 10:01 AM   #3
plowsie

Is Samson too old to be considered to joining?

To ellaborate, the last I saw, you were getting on really well with him not being as bad anymore?
Old 25-09-09, 10:08 AM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Plowsie, Samson would not be the Police dog, I would be the dog handler and I would be given a German Shepherd as my dog to bring home. my worry is that Samson would not like to share his home with a bigger dog - sorry didnt make myself clear.

Samson would remain my pet and German Shepherd would be the killing machine LOL

I am doing well with Sam, he 'plays' with other dogs better and when he is showing any signs of niggling I call him and he comes running which is all I can hope for. I have still tried to avoid the situation of him being one on one with a larger dog so not sure how he would act. I have just kept him at bay.

He is still trying to pull on lead to get to other dogs passing by but that could be to play, I don't chance it as owners tend to get funny if ya dog is growling at theirs LOL

Generally he is good but can I chance bringing a German Shepherd into the house, but I am torn as I would love the job.

Dizzy - you are right I would much prefer cars but in the 5 years I have been in the job the bike team has only ever had one vacany , like the dogs - so it's a case of apply when you can becuase the jobs are like rocking horse do do, not to say I will get it as there will be loads applying no doubt.
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

Old 25-09-09, 10:17 AM   #5
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
Plowsie, Samson would not be the Police dog, I would be the dog handler and I would be given a German Shepherd as my dog to bring home. my worry is that Samson would not like to share his home with a bigger dog - sorry didnt make myself clear.

Samson would remain my pet and German Shepherd would be the killing machine LOL

I am doing well with Sam, he 'plays' with other dogs better and when he is showing any signs of niggling I call him and he comes running which is all I can hope for. I have still tried to avoid the situation of him being one on one with a larger dog so not sure how he would act. I have just kept him at bay.

He is still trying to pull on lead to get to other dogs passing by but that could be to play, I don't chance it as owners tend to get funny if ya dog is growling at theirs LOL

Generally he is good but can I chance bringing a German Shepherd into the house, but I am torn as I would love the job.

Dizzy - you are right I would much prefer cars but in the 5 years I have been in the job the bike team has only ever had one vacany , like the dogs - so it's a case of apply when you can becuase the jobs are like rocking horse do do, not to say I will get it as there will be loads applying no doubt.
Sorry Shell my question was more of an alternative suggestion.

But yeah I get what you mean. Tis a worry, at the end of the day it is your choice. Maybe an out of house meet to see if they get on? Gives you a better idea. Samson may be very grumpy if you turn up with another dog on his turf, albeit a bigger dog but still.
Old 25-09-09, 10:17 AM   #6
rpwoodman

I'd suggest you apply for both; once you've got offers of both, only then do you need to decide. I think it'd be a knee-jerk reaction to rule one out at this early stage.
Once you're in the position where you need to make a decision, make lists - list good and bad for both options; I generally find the decision is fairly obvious when I have lists in front of me.

Good for you tho - glad you're in the position where you've got 2 great opportunities.
Old 25-09-09, 10:20 AM   #7
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman View Post
I'd suggest you apply for both; once you've got offers of both, only then do you need to decide. I think it'd be a knee-jerk reaction to rule one out at this early stage.
Once you're in the position where you need to make a decision, make lists - list good and bad for both options; I generally find the decision is fairly obvious when I have lists in front of me.

Good for you tho - glad you're in the position where you've got 2 great opportunities.
Only got the one opp at the moment for the dogs, I am taking my advanced driving course to assist me to apply for bikes IF and when a job arises so do I wait or take this dog chance? At the cost of MAYBE having an unhappy house hold.

Old 25-09-09, 10:21 AM   #8
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman View Post
+1 at times like this with figures of unemployment about, it's a huge opportunity to be offered two possibilities. Same happened to me last week, an Accountancy firm came to me requesting to meet with me as they need someone with my experience in a few programs that I use and will offer a competitive salary etc.

Suffice to say, I won't be taking it, but it's nice to see.
Old 25-09-09, 10:22 AM   #9
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
+1 at times like this with figures of unemployment about, it's a huge opportunity to be offered two possibilities. Same happened to me last week, an Accountancy firm came to me requesting to meet with me as they need someone with my experience in a few programs that I use and will offer a competitive salary etc.

Suffice to say, I won't be taking it, but it's nice to see.
Why you not at least going for the meeting? Could be a good move for you hun

Old 25-09-09, 10:22 AM   #10
davepreston

i grew up with police dogs and would only ever own a german shepard, but what i would say is the "work" dog would actually make things easier for samson , which is easier 2 dogs of the street or 1 fully trained dog and one normal dog, and belive me after a week you will forget its your "work dog" it will like your just able to take your dog to work