SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-10, 05:26 PM   #1
Jackie_Black

Default Honda hornet 600

Anyone got a new shape hornet 600

I've shortlisted one as my next bike and would like an honest opinion from someone who has one. I sat on one today and they feel lovely but there was no demo bike.
Old 02-09-10, 05:36 PM   #2
Baggy

Default Re: Honda hornet 600

I had a 57 plate up until 2 months ago. I have been riding for 7 years and had 9 bikes and I can honestly say it was the best bike I have owned.

It would do whatever I wanted it to, commute through Birmingham City Centre, a short blast through the twisties and would feel stable and safe no matter what the weather. The power delivery was nice and smooth.

The only down side was the lack of wind protection at high speed. I changed to for my SV1000 due to its physically small size because the Mrs wanted to be pillion again after 3 years of not going on the bike.
Old 02-09-10, 05:38 PM   #3
bobbleheadbarne

nice possition for long rides, like the 4 into one exhaust, handling is really good i thought but what put me off its unfaired for for motorways and the new designed rear looks quiet big good throttle responce at all levels if you do go for one test first for few hours and bargin him down big time
Old 02-09-10, 05:39 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I've ridden a couple of older ones, "meh" describes them pretty well.

Alright bikes, will do owt, can shift in a decent way... but not going to set your hair on fire. Depends what you want it for.
Old 02-09-10, 05:42 PM   #5
Jackie_Black

So is the SV thou smaller? or did you get rid of the hornet cos it was too small for pillions?

She who must be obeyed no longer wishes to come pillion as regularly as she has been and so I fancied downsizing, I only bought the DL to tour with and she no longer likes to tour, WOMEN!

I've found an ABS one on 0% for 4 years, the tick is 40 quid less than i currently pay and i save on insurance and tax, so it almost seems a sensible choice!

Did you have to bray **** out of hornet everywhere or is the engine quite flexible?
Old 02-09-10, 05:43 PM   #6
Jackie_Black

YC I mainly want it as a toy and short commuting tool. Would I have more fun on an SV Sport?
Old 02-09-10, 05:44 PM   #7
bobbleheadbarne

i thought engine quiet flexible, little better for pillions than the sv but u will miss the tourque
Old 02-09-10, 05:48 PM   #8
bobbleheadbarne

also the engine is based on the honda cbr600rr a good engine i think
Old 02-09-10, 05:52 PM   #9
Berlin

Excellent bikes and I can completely recommend the earlier faried ones as a fantastic all rounder. Just bang a new aftermarket shock in there and your sorted. (cheap Hagon unit is fine, no need for Ohlins) the front end was pretty decent as standard once the preload was set with washers.

I'd have another half faired one tomorrow.

C

Last edited by Berlin; 02-09-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 05:53 PM   #10
Jackie_Black

Ah torque, I like the torque of the DL but its a massive thing and if its just me on it most of the time it seems pointless. There's no top end rush either which I like to chase on bikes.