SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-08, 12:39 PM   #1
Kulay

Default Bandit 1200 rear wheel for sv650

Hi everyone,

I believe this is a popular subject on this forum, so forgive me if my queries have been answered elsewhere.

On a previous post I was enquiring about fitting an sv1000 swingarm to fit a wider rear wheel. I found this operation would be too complicated.

I have also read about a lot of people installing CBR F3 wheels to put 170 & 180 tyres, but I feel that with those wheels you would need to change the front to to match the number of spokes. THat's why the 1200 wheel seems like quite a good option as it has the same number of spokes and look similar.

Now my question is, do any of the 1200 rear wheels work, or do you need a specific model from a specific year? (K1, k2..k5?....). And then, where do you get the right spacers and bearings etc...? I have seen an american chap that sells spacers for installing CBR F3 wheels but not sure where you would get ones for installing the bandit rear wheel...

Finally, from a handling point of view, would you also need to change the front wheel as well? Obviously installing a wider rear would change handling in itself ( for better or for worse, as long as it isn't too bad then its ok as i just want a big fat doughut on my rear !!) but hoepfully you don't need to do anything else??

Oh, how about sprockets and rear disc brake?? do you need to chage these when installing the bandit rear??

THanks guys
Old 13-01-08, 01:33 PM   #2
markmoto

Default Re: Bandit 1200 rear wheel for sv650

Il be watching this with interest, as far as the handling is concerned at worst it might slow the steering slightly but in the real world there will be no difference.
Old 13-01-08, 03:19 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I think Twin Works make a spacer kit for the GSXR1100 wheel, which as far as I can tell has the same dimensions as the second version of the Bandit 1200 wheel, which is the one I'd use- the first ones had slanted spokes, teh second one looks identical to the SV one.

I've got a pair in the garage which I've been supposed to be making a spacer kit for for about 6 months, but something always comes up

You've got 2 choices with sprockets- either use the Bandit 1200 set entirely, which would work I think (I'm sure the front sprockets will fit, though I've never done it) but the only drawback of that is that it's a heavier 530 chain, the SV doesn't need that. Will you notice? I doubt it frankly. The chain length and tooth numbers are ideal for the SV. So there's the cheap option if it works. Alternatively, Renthal among others will make you a Bandit sprocket in a 525 or 520 pitch- 525 is standard for the SV, 520 is for people whowant a minor weight reduction and don't mind losing chain life.

Rear disc off the SV fits.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-08, 03:42 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post

Rear disc off the SV fits.
And the busa one I think, looks similar, have had a cursory glance at it.
Want to buy a busa rear disc?
Old 13-01-08, 05:14 PM   #5
BILLY

Also the calliper hanger needs machining down a little! 21Quest is the expert on this one I bought the kit off him for mine what he had made up to fit the B12 wheel!
Old 13-01-08, 05:20 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Aye, I always forget that because I already have the caliper shaved for the speedo.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 12:31 PM   #7
Kulay

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your replies. Very useful. Unfortunately I don’t have a garage nor tools, so usually, when I want to do things to the bike, I figure out how to do it, buy all the parts and go to this local bike garage where they fit it for me (at a ‘regulars’ reduced rate!).

So basically, what I need to do is get the second version bandit rear wheel, and then the spacers which I can get from Twin Works Factory. Northwind, you mentioned you were thinking of making the spacers? Would you consider making another set that I could buy from you? I’d rather buy from someone in UK. 21Quest was also mentioned, who is this guy? Does he make spacers for the bandit wheel?

Also, the bearings for the wheel don’t need to be changed right? Just the spacers I assume (prob a dum question but I need to make sure I understand what am doing as I cannot do it myself and need to explain to ‘my mechanic’…).

I should then (though not absolutely necessary) get 525 pitch sprocket and I need to machine the calliper hanger (sorry – but what calliper hanger? Is this from brake callipers?).

AS I said, I will try to get all the parts before getting it done! But if you guys know somewhere in London or near London that I could get this done (as in someone that has done it before and knows exactly what to do) then please let me know!!

Sorry for all the questions, your replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Old 14-01-08, 12:39 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Don't worry about ordering from twinworks, I ordered a bearing from them for gsxr fork conversion and their service was excellent.

So long as the bearings in the wheel you buy are OK then you don't need to change them afaik, I think the axles are the same diameter.

As for sprockets I'd leave the front one alone and get a bandit rear sprocket in 525 pitch.
Old 14-01-08, 12:51 PM   #9
plowsie

As for the steering being slowed down, its rubbish, IMO mine turned just as quick as a standard setting, mind you it had Gixxer forks and a raised end!
Old 14-01-08, 12:53 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Gixxer forks are shorter than standard, and raising the rear sharpens it up even more, so who knows!

Another thing to consider is loads of bikes use a 180 rear, so you can get cheap tyres