SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-09-06, 07:55 PM   #1
boots6

Default fuel tank question

Hi all, i have a 2000 sv650 naked which i've had for a couple of weeks now. When i 1st got it and put some fuel in (only £10 worth so not overfilled) i noticed fuel leaking out of a drain/breather pipe onto the exhaust. Had it looked at by a shop and they told me that inside the tank there is a pipe which carries any excess water away. This pipe has a hole in it and this is how the petrol is getting out, they have blanked this pipe off for me. Is there anyway to fix the hole or do i need a replacement tank. Will a tank off a faired model on the same year fit a naked?
Old 06-09-06, 08:00 PM   #2
BILLY

I'm sure you have only 2 pipes coming from the tank 1 is the main fuel pipe to the pump and the other is a vacume pipe which opens the fuel tap to let petrol through when you start the bike sounds like you over filled it!! Did you fill up sat on the bike or did you fill it on its side stand?
Old 06-09-06, 08:05 PM   #3
boots6

Filled it on the sidestand but over the course of 6 hours while it was parked up at work i lost about half a litre of fuel (put container underneath when 1st noticed)
Old 06-09-06, 08:07 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY
I'm sure you have only 2 pipes coming from the tank 1 is the main fuel pipe to the pump and the other is a vacume pipe which opens the fuel tap to let petrol through when you start the bike sounds like you over filled it!! Did you fill up sat on the bike or did you fill it on its side stand?
Nop there is a third pipe right at the back of the fuel tank which is the overflow pipe, ive not herd on this forum any people that have had it leak fuel unless they dripped fuel around the fuel filler cap.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 08:09 PM   #5
BILLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY
Nop there is a third pipe right at the back of the fuel tank which is the overflow pipe, ive not herd on this forum any people that have had it leak fuel unless they dripped fuel around the fuel filler cap.
I stand corrected didn't see the 3rd pipe when I had my tank off!!!
Old 06-09-06, 08:11 PM   #6
boots6

Definetly didnt overfill it and you look inside the tank you can see where the previous owner has tried to fix the hole with some white spray stuff ( at least i now know why he didnt fill her up for me)
Old 06-09-06, 09:49 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

rusting through of the water drain pipe has been reported many times.

I haven't heard of a successful repair method, maybe someone knows of one Don't know whether it could be "lined" with a smaller pipe (annealed copper for example??) pushed through and sealed both ends?? It might become too small bore to drain water successfully.

I regularly give a quick spray of suitable water dispersant/wax or similar down the pipe, little and often, make sure you don't overdo it and it doesn't drip out of the end and get onto the rear tyre though.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 02:47 AM   #8
boots6

So its looking like a replacement tank then, is a tank off a 2000 650s the same as a 2000 650y (mines the one without the fairing)
Old 07-09-06, 09:27 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, all carbed model tanks are the same. Bar colour and dents of course. The other thing that happens if that pipe rusts through is that water gets into the fuel, so it gets you both ways. No fun. Seems like one of the main causes is if the drain hose gets kinked under the back of the tank, I had that once after some hurried rebuilding work.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 04:21 PM   #10
Jay

My fuel overflow is disconnected at the top, I superglue it in place, holds for approx 2000 miles, then needs re-doing - five minute job. (I know I should get a new one but I've had the tank custom painted and I'm not paying for a new one and the paint job for the bike I use to commute.)

Easy at the top though, would be a b*gger if it's gone anywhere else.