SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-07-08, 10:57 AM   #1
custard

Default Dvla

have just got my hornet back from an extended stint at the mechanics... subsequently the tax has lapsed by about 6 months. I went online to sort tax and it kindly tells me that there is a gap in the licensing and that this is an offence and that if i continue and buy tax online i may receive some communication etc from them regards the lapse i.e. a fine

are they just making money hand over fist for not a lot really when it comes down to it?
and if they are that concerned surely they would have contacted me shortly after the tax lapsed to tell me they would like some money?

any one else had this warning and then proceeded? did anything happen?
Old 20-07-08, 11:03 AM   #2
DoubleD

Default Re: Dvla

I know someone who had left it about 2-3 weeks and got a £80 fine after getting new tax disk, that was about 3 years ago so I'm guessing that the fines will be more now.

Did you not get a TAX reminder in the post? I get one each year for all 3 vehicles I have and there is an option to declaire SORN.
Old 20-07-08, 11:07 AM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Prob best to give them a call and explain, tell them it was out of sight out of mind, you can proove its been off the road etc.

My mate has around 30 cars, he's always in trouble with the DVLA for not declaring sorn, not doing the v5's etc. He usually sweet talks his way out of it.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-08, 11:07 AM   #4
appollo1
Mega Poster

6 mmonths at the mechanic - get your mechanic to pay then

You really should have SORN'd it.
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-08, 11:23 AM   #5
custard

dont think the mechanic would pay considering he didnt charge me storage....

still £80. just amazed that they wait for you to get a disk and then nobble you for it! surely if they were that concerned they would send you an automatic fine after say a month or so.
Old 20-07-08, 11:32 AM   #6
Nostrils

I would question their own rules. If you watch their TV advert and all those special operations by the police to catch so called motorcycle tax dodger - They explain something like "there is no where to hide etc." If that is the case, why have they not written to you with a fine already!, have you moved! Why have you not been picked up by one of these operations? Perhaps because you havent been riding the bike.

Just a note: A corsa driver in my street drove around without tax for nearly 5years and despite many residents complaining to the DVLA constantly it took them that long.
Old 20-07-08, 04:47 PM   #7
custard

sod it, will just have to play it by ear...

where exactly does road tax go incidently? any one have an ideas?
Old 20-07-08, 04:58 PM   #8
phil24_7
Mega Poster

John Lewis lists!!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-08, 05:25 PM   #9
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

buy some soap on a rope, you're going to need it for the long stint you do you hardened crim you
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-08, 10:03 AM   #10
ricky

when asked just say well you posted a letter telling them it was off the road, ie the sorn letter, they get so many i bet the couldnt prove if you have or have not sent it if they have lost it etc etc