SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-01-09, 12:53 PM   #1
Ed

Default Sign of the times

I've had three calls from new clients - asking about unfair selection for redundancy. One came in straight away. One's coming in on Friday.

Employers routinely **** this up as they fail to follow their own procedures, apply subjective criteria and then fail to have anyone independent review it, fail to consider alternatives to redundancy, and it gives people like me a field day My bloke today was selected because of his 'lack of performance and skills'. Funny how in 7 years of continuous employment with the same company, nobody has ever told him that he's not up to scratch. So where's the evidence for this, and who assessed him? Embarrassing silence so far... And then they don't hoof out the temporary workers first... oh dear
Old 21-01-09, 12:58 PM   #2
Kinvig

Default Re: Sign of the times

So you're busy in a down turn?
Old 21-01-09, 01:02 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Hmmm, let's see now. Openly admitted failing to follow procedure and dumped a bigger bill than agreed on a client without advising them, who then complained.

Sacked.

(sorry Ed, couldn't resist............. )
Old 21-01-09, 01:09 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Oh thats Cold
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-09, 01:17 PM   #5
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Hmmm, let's see now. Openly admitted failing to follow procedure and dumped a bigger bill than agreed on a client without advising them, who then complained.

Sacked.

(sorry Ed, couldn't resist............. )
And I followed the org advice. Explained that they were entitled to pay me only what I'd estimated, accepted that i hadn't told them, and they realised that actually it was a much bigger job than thought, so paid me in full.

Result
Old 21-01-09, 01:19 PM   #6
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Nice one Ed. All worked out okay for you then. Communication worked it all out in the end.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-09, 01:22 PM   #7
anna
Mega Poster

Classic case of "ner ner ner ner ner" there

Guess sadly (or very favourably to you) this is where your business will be coming in from for a while.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-09, 01:52 PM   #8
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Classic case of "ner ner ner ner ner" there

Guess sadly (or very favourably to you) this is where your business will be coming in from for a while.

It's sad. People are naturally very upset and feel powerless, but it's the feelings of betrayal that hurt. Bloke this morning had been there for 7 years, never an off word about performance, and then told he's out cos he's not up to scratch.
Old 21-01-09, 02:42 PM   #9
MiniMatt

I've seen very large companies screw up on this time and time again. At the risk of incurring the wrath of their substantial legal department (who it would seem are only rarely consulted by the HR department), a certain large telecommunications company regularly get bent over in employment tribunals for making a role redundant and promptly re-hiring someone into the exact same role - often on the same day with the same job title