SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-06-09, 07:48 PM   #1
ChrisCaveman

Default Honda VTR1000 SP-2 or Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new, sportier bike... Please don't stone me to death for shifting the SV...

I'm currently torn between an '03 VTR SP-2, like this:

Or an Aprilia 2004 RSV 1000 Mille, like this:

They're both about £4600, Mille has only 431 miles on the clock and the SP2 has 14k on it.. Mille is cheaper on the ol' insurance as well..

Opinions? Thanks

Ex: SV650 Naked in Pearl Nebular Black
ChrisCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-09, 07:51 PM   #2
ThEGr33k

Default Re: Honda VTR1000 SP-2 or Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille

The aprilia. Much better road bike. Cheaper to run and insure.

BTW mille means 1000 in Italian. Your not buying a RSV million
Old 22-06-09, 07:54 PM   #3
Mej
Mega Poster

gotta say i like both bikes but the mille looks a bit nicer, i have heard they are a right handful though. Both awesome bikes though.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-09, 09:04 PM   #4
TimTucker

Well, as an RSV-R owner myself, I would say the Aprilia would be more suitable if you want a more "real world" (relatively-speaking) bike, as the SP-2 is, by all account, very track focussed.

There is an MCN video on their website where they compare a Ducati (999, I think, but I could be wrong), RSV-R and SP-2 and they report that latter is a better track bike than the Aprilia, so that might be a vote towards the Honda.

I'd be a bit worried that the RSV-R has only done -- or is claimed to have done -- under 500 miles in four-or-five years. It hasn't even reached its first service, which is due at just over 600. Why?

I don't think there are many Aprilia dealers round Wiltshire way, either. My brother was considering getting one and I know that's one of the things that put him off. (He lives just south of Marlborough). That's never going to be a problem with the Honda.
Old 22-06-09, 09:05 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

HRC ftw!

Bob bobbleton on here has an SP1 as a natural fit between his SV and Blade and loves it.

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 22-06-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 22-06-09, 09:25 PM   #6
ethariel

Chap at work has the SP-2, after a month commuting on it, he had to visit a chiaropractor (sp) three times a week for a month, LOL
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-09, 09:49 PM   #7
ChrisCaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
BTW mille means 1000 in Italian. Your not buying a RSV million
Ah, but I've seen the RSV 1000 Mille or RSV 1000 R or RSV Mille R. Too confusing... haha...

The Aprilia is from a dealer in Exeter, I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow to get some background on the bike. 431 miles for an '04 is a bit..... bizzare

But! Not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth, fingers crossed it will all work out gravy. Shiny new bike for the annual rideout

Closest official dealer is in Swindon, which isn't too far for me. Near Bath myself so it should be ok!

Ex: SV650 Naked in Pearl Nebular Black
ChrisCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-09, 07:47 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Out of those two I'd be inclined to by the Millie, but they do tend to eat batteries and my brother replaced the battery in his mille with one with a higher cold cranking value which improved the starting, watch for warped front brake disks as his warped one and he got tired of buying so called "straight" disks on ebay which tuned out to be warped, lead him to believe its a common problem. He also had an issue with low oil pressure when the bike was hot and idling, that he never solved despite rebuilding the oil pump etc etc.

Not ridden an SP2, supposed to have better tank range than the Sp1, and throttle response is supposed to be better as well. But be prepared for the riding position being uncomfortable if you are tall.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-09, 08:00 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Id have the Sp2...only because i love em to bits! Millies are ok but a tad fragile as fizz has pointed out.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-09, 08:07 AM   #10
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Out of those two I'd be inclined to by the Millie, but they do tend to eat batteries and my brother replaced the battery in his mille with one with a higher cold cranking value which improved the starting, watch for warped front brake disks as his warped one and he got tired of buying so called "straight" disks on ebay which tuned out to be warped, lead him to believe its a common problem. He also had an issue with low oil pressure when the bike was hot and idling, that he never solved despite rebuilding the oil pump etc etc.
Search for "the wire mod" on Aprilia forums (improves connection between the reg/rec and the battery), keep the bike on an optimate if not used for longer.
Discs are a bast***, but most of the time, it's the rotor buttons that get dirty, get an m6 bolt through it, tighten with a nut, spray brake cleaner and rotate the buttons (don't use mole grips). Job done in 30 minutes.

Last edited by dyzio; 23-06-09 at 08:08 AM.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote