SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 04-05-12, 12:11 PM   #1
rvracing

Default manx gp under threat

hi all, as the title indecates the manx gp has come under threat from the manx government, the department of economic developement DED have done a survey over the last few months and have come up with the idea that the manx is not making enogh money, and they want to rationalise the meeting, making it a 10 day event instead of 14. and center the event arround classic racing , and sidelining the modern bikes, and have no newcomer event, this strikes at the heart of the future of the manx, very posible the future of the tt , this should enrage the supporters of the manx on this forum, as some of us including myself are racing at the manx this year as newcomers, the changes come into effect in 2013 and not this year, i have been in toutch with jim hunter of the manx club who run the meeting, and i have taken it uppon my self to organise a pettition to save the manx in its persent format, i have printed off 10 sheets, and will take one to emra next weekend for riders to sign at signing on, i will do the same at the auto 66 meeting at mallory the next weekend, i will also do the same at other clubs up and down the counrty, if anyone feels the can help with pettition i will post a sheet to them, my no is 07922 014 533,,,please let us try and save this event, racing on the isle is part of our herritage, please help to save it
Old 04-05-12, 01:04 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: manx gp under threat

not making enough money... hahahahaaaa. if the don't do this then how else they going to make money, i think someone in the gov of manx is a bit dim
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 01:22 PM   #3
Owenski

+1 surely the manx gp and TT are the biggest sources of income for the island.
Get rid of one and you get rid of its income... how can no income be better than some income?
Old 04-05-12, 01:56 PM   #4
Berlin

The full story

£300,000 is a lot of money to lose, and even harder to justify for the sake of keeping the extra three days open.

Oh, and Supertwins are unaffected...

"The event would also include two Clubman’s TT titles which would be applied to two races for amateur riders on modern machinery. One would be a Supersport race for modern four cyclinder 600cc bikes and the other a Lightweight event for 650cc twins".

Last edited by Berlin; 04-05-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 02:00 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i think someone in the gov of manx is a bit dim
Thats inbreeding for ya

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 02:16 PM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

As much as I love the racing, I have to admit that as I dont travel there to watch it I feel I have little say in the matter.

This is more about building a valid business case in running the event than in my passion for bike racing. I think the real key to this is in properly understanding which parts of the Manx event are the least popular and concentrate on removing or boosting these.

Maybe there are ways to promote better spectator support for the Manx, better ways to make the event attractive, who knows.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 03:07 PM   #7
rvracing

admitted it may be to early to pannic, but if it goes its gone forever, like i say , help would be apreciated,
Old 05-05-12, 12:16 AM   #8
Berlin

But it isn't going. Three days are going so that the rest of the event gets stronger and better.

C
Old 05-05-12, 05:25 AM   #9
rvracing

thing is tho..unless im mistaken, the new format makes no mention of a newcomers race,, if thats the case, many of the newcomers go on to do the tt, it is believed that if the mgp newcomers race is scrapped there is nothing to feed the tt, some riders do by pass the newcomers,
Old 05-05-12, 06:22 AM   #10
Berlin

So if you're a newcomer, race on something that is allowed, to learn the track.
Sorry but I'm just not feeling the vibe on this one. It's not under threat, its being altered for reasons justifiably explained.
C