SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-14, 12:17 PM   #1
SVGTI

Default Curvy sv650 down on power

Anybody got any suggestion what could be wrong with my sv650

It feels like it's down on power and really sluggish, someone said to me it's running rich but not particularly sure what he means by that.

I'll be great full for any advice. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-14, 12:55 PM   #2
zippie01

Default Re: Curvy sv650 down on power

I would suggest giving it a good service, eg re balancing carbs, run through some fuel system cleaner, check / replace air filter, new spark plugs etc

Running too rich means that your engine is consuming too much fuel for the amount for air that it is getting, so if that was the case I would suggest a new air filter, but also re balancing the carbs should help. Although if it was running rich I'm not sure if would be down on power but there are plenty of members who know a lot more than me on this subject.

How long since it was last serviced ?

Last edited by zippie01; 01-03-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 01:10 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

When was it last serviced or attended to in any way and what was done? Did the power loss happen suddenly, or was it gradual? Is it consistent or does the problem come and go? What was your typical fuel consumption and how does it differ - if it does of course - presently?
What prompted the running rich thinking? If true it points toward clogged air filter, punctured or sticking float, damaged or sticking float valve or possibly loose or unscrewed jet.

The more info you can provide the better the chance of a realistic diagnosis of the problem.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 09:33 PM   #4
SVGTI

Sorry for the vague info

The sv is a track bike and I was at cadwell today. The problem was on the straights it was struggling to get anything over 90mph. It was like it all day and this was the first time the bike had been used since back end of last year. Over the winter I changed the oil and oil filters but thats about it. The sparks plugs was done the begging of last year. I also noticed that the throttle response was particularly great either but wasnt sure weather to put both these symptoms together. The reason I said about running rich was purely because while i was waiting to go out for the first session one of the instructor said to me it smelt like it was burning rich. Now on the dinner break I went and spoke to the one of the guys who was doing suspensions setus etc, the first thing he asked was had I resprayed my petrol tank and is at happened id only had it done a month or so ago. So he thought its maybe dust from the respray that has got into the tank and clogged up the fuel filter.

Is this likely to be a cause ? and if so how hard a job is it to replace the fuel filter.

Thanks
Old 01-03-14, 09:51 PM   #5
wideguy

Did you pull the spark plugs out and look at them? What did they look like?
Old 01-03-14, 09:57 PM   #6
SVGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
Did you pull the spark plugs out and look at them? What did they look like?
Not yet, didn't get back till late so lost the will. I managed to get the tank propped up at the track to make a quick check i hadn't kinked any pipes when replacing the tank. Ill check the spark plugs when I strip it down.
Old 02-03-14, 12:02 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Curvy sv650 down on power

I think it would be best to start at the obvious, check the plugs, filters and the fuel flow. The two diagnoses you have had are quite exclusive; rich from one, obstructed fuel flow from the other. Now that we know it struggles at high speed I would tend to favour the second - insufficient fuel flow. Not necessarily for the reason given of course, but it's clearly worth checking. As you say it's been sitting unused for a few months then clogged up anything and everything in the carbs and fuel system is what I suspect is causing the problem.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:44 AM   #8
atassiedevil

Check the pad under the tank has not fallen across the entrance to the airbox, this would strangle the engine big time.
Old 03-03-14, 03:16 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGTI View Post
Is this likely to be a cause ? and if so how hard a job is it to replace the fuel filter.

Thanks
Dead easy, turn tank on it's side, take the vacuum tap out and blow any crap off.
Old 03-03-14, 03:55 PM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Did you use the choke lever?
If so, did the choke fully close when you returned it?
You DID return it, didn't you?