SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-02-16, 09:46 AM   #1
svbmx

Default Wiring LED warning lights from stock loom (99 SV650s) Help Please?!

Really hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction with this...

Ive gotten rid of my original clocks after doing a naked conversion, so ive made a mounting plate for my gps speedo (phone!) and 6 LED's to replace the warning lights (neutral, indicators, high beam, low fuel, oil pressure and coolant temp) im now missing from my original clocks.

My plan is to cut off the connector that plugged into the back of the original gauges and wire in the LED's directly from there.

So far ive managed to get the high beam and indicator LED's working fine but the rest is a little confusing. I have managed to get the neutral LED to light up by connecting + to blue/black and - to orange/green, but it wont turn off when i put it into gear! And because im struggling with this im now reluctant to wire in the oil pressure and coolant temp warning LED's because i wont actually know if they'll work until something goes wrong!!

So basically... does anyone know what colour wires i need to connect to each LED's positive and negative connection to make them work correctly?!!

The low fuel warning light is probably the most important to me, so if i could only get help with wiring that, that would much appreciated

Im "attempting" to follow this wiring diagram in the Haynes manual

svbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-16, 01:12 PM   #2
Redmist

Default Re: Wiring LED warning lights from stock loom (99 SV650s) Help Please?!

Do you have a multimeter with you that can measure resistance?

What we need to know is: What is the ohms reading of the blue/black wire when measured to a known ground point, when the bike is both in neutral and when not. I imagine the resistance is high when not in neutral, and becomes lower when not in neutral.

The existing neutral bulb is being switched to ground in some way within the neutral switch in the gearbox.

So the old bulb has 12V on one side of it all the time, then when the bike is in neutral the resistance must be lowered so the current can flow thru the bulb, enough to illuminate the bulb.

Now you have an LED, the resistance will be permanently low enough to have the LED lit up.
Is the LED changing brightness when you switch out of neutral?

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-16, 01:17 PM   #3
Redmist

The low fuel light probably works in a similar way, on my later pointy SV, the resistance of the fuel sensor changes from one value to another (Can't remember the values but it should tell you in the fuel sensor section of the manual you have) so the fuel sensor might be the same on yours, again this means the LED will need some more mods to make it work.

It all depends on what the resistances change by as to how you can make it work with the LED.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-16, 03:36 PM   #4
phi-dan

This thread over on SVRider may help with the fuel light http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147549
There's a couple of similar threads for getting the lights to work with Vapor (and other) digital displays over on SVRider as well, which should set you right.
Old 23-02-16, 10:09 AM   #5
svbmx

All the info is much appreciated. Im not electrically minded at all so this is a big help.

Ive also managed to rope our electrical engineer here at work into helping with this too. I showed him your comments and the info via the link and he's confident he can create me some plug n play bits between the loom and the LED's to make them all work.

Cheers guys
svbmx is offline   Reply With Quote