SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-04, 09:04 AM   #1
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Use a phone while driving?

Penalties for driving while on the phone are set to increase. The fine is to be raised to £60, along with 3 penalty points.

If you ask me, about time too \/

Lets just hope its actualy enforced.
Old 19-11-04, 09:08 AM   #2
Grinch

Does it allow me when I go past to smash there window take the phone and chuck the bloody thing down the road.
Old 19-11-04, 09:09 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Use a phone while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Penalties for driving while on the phone are set to increase. The fine is to be raised to £60, along with 3 penalty points.

Don't you mean, failure to drop it into their lap when seeing a cop car

enforcement would be nice, don't you think, but then again speed cameras don't pickup that sort of thing.

cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-04, 09:13 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

What is it about phones that gets peoples backs up sooooo much, with reatcions like Grinches. Far worse things are done on the roads!

Get real.

As Mark pointed out, thats what safety cameras are for...isnt it
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-04, 09:15 AM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
Quote:

Don't you mean, failure to drop it into their lap when seeing a cop car

enforcement would be nice, don't you think, but then again speed cameras don't pickup that sort of thing.

cheers Mark
I think the people who use mobiles while driving are so blinkered to whats going on around them I wouldnt be surprised if they never see the police coming

My hatred of speed cameras isnt exactly subtle, and I've not even been caught by one yet... but this is a seperate issue.
Old 19-11-04, 09:22 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think the people who use mobiles while driving are so blinkered to whats going on around them I wouldnt be surprised if they never see the police coming
We have been here before. At the end of the day driving/riding needs 100% of your concentration. What ever you are doing in the car, whether its talking to passengers, telling your kids from jumping up and down in the back, changing a tape/cd, looking at your gps, being on the phone. They are all the same. Just dont see why people get sooo angry that they would want to go down on an assult charge for it. Seems a bit extreme.

Quote:
My hatred of speed cameras isnt exactly subtle, and I've not even been caught by one yet... but this is a seperate issue.
Thats cause you dont ride fast enough
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-04, 09:22 AM   #7
Cronos

Depends on the situation IMHO.

The number of clowns trying to drive around town whilst balancing a phone in one hand, holding a conversation, changing gear, steering and indicating (sic) with the other is frightening. Worse still the people that think it's not a problem to type out a text message in similar circumstances. These are the people who are failing to pay attention and driving dangerously and should be pursued and prosecuted.

I have some sympathy for people who're cruising on a motorway an using a phone as I see that as much less distractive.
Old 19-11-04, 09:33 AM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
We have been here before. At the end of the day driving/riding needs 100% of your concentration. What ever you are doing in the car, whether its talking to passengers, telling your kids from jumping up and down in the back, changing a tape/cd, looking at your gps, being on the phone. They are all the same. Just dont see why people get sooo angry that they would want to go down on an assult charge for it. Seems a bit extreme.
Who said anything about an assault charge?

Blimey. All I did was post a thread pointing out a change in the law that im in favour of
Old 19-11-04, 09:39 AM   #9
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
I have some sympathy for people who're cruising on a motorway an using a phone as I see that as much less distractive.
Nope gun them all down...

Or is that a tad over the top... but I have lost track of the number of times I've been carved up or almost knocked of by someone on the phone. It was only because I was paying attention I didn't end up as a smear on the road. I have enough trouble with drivers not seeing me, we don't need more distractions. And that includes on motorways changing lanes while not looking, the last thing I want is to be squished in to the barrier at 70!

It just seems that drivers get let off with most things while they come down heavy on bikers, is this simply because we are a smaller group, and don't bring the govenment as much money?
Old 19-11-04, 09:40 AM   #10
Grinch

Quote:
Who said anything about an assault charge?

Blimey. All I did was post a thread pointing out a change in the law that im in favour of
I think that was my fault..