SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-05, 07:07 PM   #1
SVeeedy Gonzales

Default First big ride on unrestricted SV650

Crept out just after 7am for an early morning blast today. First time I've had a chance to push an unrestricted SV650.

It didn't seem to have more than double the power. I rode a gsxr600 a few weeks back and that didn't feel like it had more than 3 times the power either. I expected a bit more oomph, but I was if anything underwhelmed by how little extra grunt there seems to be with that extra power, at least for most of the ride.

I did notice her shaking the bars a little when putting down a lot of power out of bends, several times. Never had that happen and I'm pretty sure it's just down to putting down extra power. It's fun, not scary... can the SV650 go into violent tankslappers or is that as much as I'm likely to get - a light tug which can easily be fought and beaten?

The rev limiter! I've never hit a rev limiter until today - never had a bike that could go into the red so fast. Had overtaken a car or two and suddenly bike turned into a slow motion, lazy, tired bucking bronco, as 3 pulses went through it, before I realised I must have hit the limit, backed off and changed up a gear. She pulls all the way up the rev range now, and I can see what people mean about the restricted bike not having any more go after about 6000 rpm.

Overtakes are stunningly fast. I know I've moaned above about it not seeming to have that much more power... that is until you go to overtake, when she rockets past anything as fast as I dared, completing an overtake in half the time. Very impressive. Perhaps because overtaking is the most obvious show of the extra power, it's pretty well hidden the rest of the time.

The traction of the bike seems better - probably due to the extra torque as well - out of bends, off of roundabouts, etc. it didn't matter what was nearby, it was just left behind. I think I was more impressed by that (more useable in more situations) than the overtaking power.

All in all, great fun and plenty more to play with and discover. I still suspect I'll be moving onto a 600cc IL4 in a year or two. Unless Suzuki (or someone else) come out with something sportier and even more grunt. Wouldn't rule out an RSV though
Old 07-08-05, 07:36 PM   #2
Last Action Pimp

that'l be me on the 8th June 2006. cant wait!!!
Old 07-08-05, 08:33 PM   #3
Saint Matt

And me on the 20th july 2007. jesus thats a long way away. Well, actually it wont, cos i will be on an R6 by then. I rode mine to the test centre full power to get it restricted, i didnt push it though, didnt want to be too disheartened when i got it back. I've yet to blag a go on my dads (Well Oiled aka King dodgy-clutch) yet, might have to. My SV revs all the way to the limiter, and it only starts pulling at 6k, stops at about 9.5k, must be a curvy thing.
Old 07-08-05, 08:39 PM   #4
kwak zzr

nice init full power
Old 07-08-05, 08:40 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: First big ride on unrestricted SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
can the SV650 go into violent tankslappers or is that as much as I'm likely to get - a light tug which can easily be fought and beaten?
It can, but it's pretty uncommon on an S. You need to get the conditions just right to reaslly make it kick off. If you keep on doing stupid things like pinning the throttle open on a really bumpy road then it'll happen sooner rather than later. But I wouldn't worry about it too much myself.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 10:12 PM   #6
didge

im not gona restrict mine im gona try and get away with it if i can whats stoping me how wil they know ?
Old 07-08-05, 10:22 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Here we go again... Feel free, but if you're in a crash, your insurers will very likely check, and if the bike isn't restricted then you're****ed. Insurance fraud will get you in a lot of trouble... You can do time for it, and you can also find yourself blacklisted by insurance companies and unable to insure another bike.

The very least that can happen if you get caught, is that you're not covered and the insurance company claim back from you any payout they make to a third party. Remember this could run into collossal figures in the case of a serious injury.

By all means do it, but be aware of the consequences if you're caught. A mate of mine is an insurance assessor for one of the bigger insurers, and they have a policy of confirming restriction on all 33bhp bikes before payout.
Old 07-08-05, 10:54 PM   #8
trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by didge
im not gona restrict mine im gona try and get away with it if i can whats stoping me how wil they know ?
well now what have we here 'ay?? PAY ATTENTION to this cos its important and could save you paying a massive fine and 'the law' taking your license. i am 20, have been racing supersport 600's for a while now and other bikes before so i know how to handle a bike with loadsa power and i know what im doing on my roads having had a flawless CBT, theory and road test. BUT.......however confident i maybe on the road and however sure of my own abilities i may be, the law is the law, and if your involved in an accident (it might not be your fault remember, other drivers can still crash into you no matter how good you are) and the police think that its worth checking both vehicles to investigate how the incident happened (they do this at every crash with people called crash scene investigators) and find that your bike is set to produce more than 33bhp, then your ****ed as this will amount to driving without a license, driving without incurance and they will probably be able to pin cause of accident on you. To answer your question though, your average plod will not be able to tell, traffic police may have a hint that somthings not sitting right but the only way they will be sure is with a vehicle examiner, these can be called out as and when, and you WILL have to wait for them to arrive. they can take your bike under susspision, dyno it and the confiscate it until your old enough to drive it (not without having charged you for no insurance, as an unrestricted bike on a restricted license will void your insurance). i know this because i have a few friends who work traffic in my local plod farm and they tell me whats going on.
as well as this, being that the police can pull you over for even the smallest misdemeanour such as a loud pipe, small plate, not looking right, driving slightly off center lane........blah, blah, blah, its not worth the risk. your much better off waiting, doing up your bike and then when your restriction does finally come off, you'll be off and away. ive only got until feb next year and ive done loads of mods to my k3 that wont take effect till then. such as PCIII, Full exhaust system, new filters , race body and tail, new lights, better oil, better rear shock + forks, loads of tuning and so forth and ive been learning more about how the bike handles every day.

You dont have to do any of this but from someone who knows how easily they can catch you, dont bother mate, its not worth risking your license for a few extra months of full power, what are you gonna do with it anyway? practice corners and manouvers first and then you'll handle it better when you do it at speed cos you'll know exactly how the bike moves, so many people nowadays buy big bikes cos they think its cool and they just cant control them, stick with the 33, its for the best , really

trick

(p.s. to everyone who already knew this, sorry for the rant)
Old 07-08-05, 11:10 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

PS look at riders like Daz, who did his time on the restricted SV and is probably a far better rider for it- riding with less power teaches you a lot.
Old 07-08-05, 11:20 PM   #10
hall13uk

as someone who has been there & done that i would say its of course your choice & no one may ever know if your are riding restricted or not, but the question is. is it worth risking your licence for its likely you will get found out if you have an accident or get caught doing it execessive speeds