SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-02-06, 06:24 PM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Silly Accidents

Reading about Cuffy's skateboarding incident got me thinking about some of the stupid accidents I've had................all caused by my own numpty-ness. You know the kind I mean...............the ones that are so dumb you're ashamed to tell people what you did.

The three I am most embarrassed about are............

1..........Falling 15ft out of a barn because I forgot to let go of the bale of hay I was throwing down. Concussion and a broken collarbone.

2..........Sticking a pitchfork right through my foot and pinning myself to a stable floor.

3...........Sticking my finger into the circular saw at work. I was so embarrassed about that one that I didn't tell anyone. Just went off to the loo, wrapped myself up in plasters, and went back to work. I lost my nail, a bit of meat out of the end of my finger, and even now, a year later, have very little feeling in my finger tip.

So which non-bike related accidents are you most ashamed of.............if you'll admit them?

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 06:44 PM   #2
Warthog

Haha wow you are quite a farming girl aren't you!

I did a wheelie down a steep hill off some bricks and a plank on my old BMX which had no brakes and landed on my ****. Lost about a a CD-sized patch od skin.

Electrocuted myself on mains supply when I was 5. Rubber slippers on a parquet floor saved my life I think.

Thats about all really. I am fairly safe at being reckless
Old 27-02-06, 06:50 PM   #3
Stig

Climbing trees when I was a lad. Mum always said "Don't go climbing those trees in that wood, you'll injure yourself"

Downward flight of 25 feet later...

...remarkably, apart from compressing my lungs so much that they had no air left in them, no damage.

Seeing how much distance I could cover jumping from a swing. Got the timing wrong a went up a lot higher than I went forwards. dislocated shoulder.
Old 27-02-06, 06:59 PM   #4
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog

Electrocuted myself on mains supply when I was 5. Rubber slippers on a parquet floor saved my life I think.
That has reminded me of another one.

I too have electrocuted myself. when I was a lad, my step dad had dismantled the pull cord type switch for the bathroom. That cord was forever snapping, one night after filling the sink with water, I stretched up to pull the cord, couldn't find it again so had assumed that it had snapped again.

I climbed up and was stood on the sink full of water whilst fumbling around in the dark for the cord. This is when I stuck my finger in the whole touched the live wires and blew myself right across the landing and straight through my sisters bedroom door, landing on the floor next to her bed. At the same time the main fuse tripped knocking all the lights off to the rest of the house. My sister was already in bed.

She heard a massive explosion which woke her up just in time to see this body crashing through her door flying through the air and landed directly next to her.

I actually don't know who had the bigger shock. Her or me
Old 27-02-06, 07:00 PM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Doing a stoppie on my bicycle and going too far.... No skin on my right arm.

Similar thing, coming downhill too fast on same bicycle to a roundabout and not quite making it...... No skin, left arm!
Old 27-02-06, 07:34 PM   #6
Ed

I too zapped myself, at home we had round pin plugs that you could stick things in. So I did... some copper wire - BANG!!!!!!!!! I was wearing crepe soled sandals on a vinyl floor, else I think I'd be smiling down at you all now. I burned my fingers very badly and blew the mains fuse.
Old 27-02-06, 07:43 PM   #7
mattSV
Mega Poster

Sythree wrote

Quote:
I too zapped myself
Talking of which - where is Scoobs?

Oh, sorry, that WASN'T an accident
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 07:47 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I rode my pushbike into a police car one day when I was a kid, I wasnt looking where I was going and rode straight into the front of it, ( it was parked )

I ran into a swingframe at School one day, which bust my glasses and cut my head open.

I was trying out a few gnarly stunts on a Skateboard and it flipped up and hit me in the face and broke one of my front teeth in half

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 07:52 PM   #9
Ceri JC

4 fingers caught in a belt sander (not pretty and soooo painful pulling them out- they got wedged in the holes to take the swarf away. Even after kicking the power button off, my fingers were stuck and I had to pull the already damaged fingers out, against the grain )

KO'd myself walking into the edge of a window!

Really badly broken arm from a fall in gymnastics.

Near drowning when I got stuck in a canoe when surfing and was too winded/stunned to roll.

Cracked my head open running up a hill pushing a pushbike and not looking up and seeing a fence in the way

Spectacular 35mph lowside down a steep hill in the rain on a pushbike.

Spectacular 30mph roadrash against a wall (hit a stone on a pushbike, lost control, bike wanted to go down, but the alley was too narrow to allow it to fall over, so I just ended up being used as a brake against the wall).

None of the above were sustained in activities that are commonly percieved as dangerous. And the most serious biking injury I've had are two pairs of ripped jeans and a bit of road rash (yes, you think I'd learn to AWMFL after the first one )! Something I trot out when some idiot says, "Motorbikes are dangerous; you'll get yourself killed."
Old 27-02-06, 07:55 PM   #10
Cloggsy

God, I've had a few...

When I was 5, I toppled off the back of an arm chair, hit my head on a pulg socket on a wall & gouged an inch and a half of flesh from my skalp - Many tears stitches

Entertainment was scarce in Hull as a boy, so a gang of us used to go to the docks & on the banks of the river Humber throw stones at each other We called it 'Brixton Riots' Anyway, a lad winged a full house roofing slate at me & it hit me square on the nose - blood everwhere Another trip to A&E - Told my Mum I'd fell off my bike

At a set of traffic lights on the back of a RD350, lights went green, I wasn't paying attention & flew off the back as the bike nailed it away