SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-06, 09:41 AM   #1
Ceri JC

Default Tool Help

I need to get my front wheel off my K4 and have all the right bits, the only thing I'm lacking is the neccessary hex key to get the spindle out. Ideally, I'd like a 3/8" square drive 12mm hex bit socket, but seem unable to locate one online, any stores people would recommend? I'm not looking for the cheapest option and provided the quality is up to it, I don't mind paying a fair price. I've found a 1/2" drive "Britool" (Is this a decent brand?) one, but at £15 inc. p&p for 1 socket, it seems a bit steep for a "less than ideal" one. Would this with a convertor bit between it and the torque wrench be okay? Am I right in thinking it's only things that move the socket so it's not in line with the normal place on the wrench that balls-up the torque readings?

My existing torque wrench (3/8" drive) only goes up to 60Nm (well, 62Nm indicated) and Haynes reckon on 65Nm. Is the 3Nm difference close enough that doing it to 62 then giving it a gentle "nip" will suffice, or will doing this result in certain death from it coming loose/likely knacker the front axle? Am I being too fussy about the whole thing and would a 12mm hex bar/key turned to "tight as fook", be perfectly adequate?

EDIT: Or should I use this to justify the 1/2" drive Halfords Professional 60-300Nm torque wrench I've had my eye on for some time to my gf?

Thanks in advance,

Ceri.
Old 09-06-06, 09:50 AM   #2
Mr Toad

One of these perhaps

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...l.asp?prod=ASA
Old 09-06-06, 09:54 AM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I've seen these wheel spindle keys on ebay but I can't remember the seller's name.He lists a range of models that are catered for.Try a search on there as I think he was much cheaper than that.
Old 09-06-06, 09:55 AM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
Yes, something like that in 12mm would be ideal.
Old 09-06-06, 11:02 AM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Do what I do, buy an Allen key of the appropriate size, cut it up into bits about 1 1/2" long, put one in your bike's toolkit for when you're out and about, one in your toolbox and give one to a mate with the same bike. A shop not far from me sells keys up to 20mm, so you should be able to get a 12mm one easy, and it should be able to give you three bits

Turn it with a socket/spanner, cheap and very handy.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 11:04 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
I've seen these wheel spindle keys on ebay but I can't remember the seller's name.He lists a range of models that are catered for.Try a search on there as I think he was much cheaper than that.
I've had a look, but can't find any/aren't really sure what you mean. Is that like a male version of the (usually female-headed) wrench you get with cars to take the wheels off?
Old 09-06-06, 11:07 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Do what I do, buy an Allen key of the appropriate size, cut it up into bits about 1 1/2" long, put one in your bike's toolkit for when you're out and about, one in your toolbox and give one to a mate with the same bike. A shop not far from me sells keys up to 20mm, so you should be able to get a 12mm one easy, and it should be able to give you three bits

Turn it with a socket/spanner, cheap and very handy.
Cool, I was actually considering this, but wasn't sure it'd fit snugly enough/be easy to cut. I take it a standard (metal cutting) hacksaw and a file will be adequate for cutting through even "case hardened" ones?

Many thanks, yet again, for the advice. That must be about 3 pints I owe you now.