SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-06, 01:04 PM   #1
cortinaman

Default SHAD hard luggage?

Greetings!

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm sure a mod will move it if not.

Been reading all posts regarding luggage, but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

Thing is:
To save money and help the rain forest I'm using my bike as much as possible instead of my old Range Rover (which I love to bits). Please don't make me qote it's milage Obviously I need to carry things with me now and then, like a laptop, clothes and a few tools for work. Or just general stuff for whichever reason after work. And before someone comes along and tells me I "don't need to bring my laptop, I can lock it in the drawer": Yes, I actually do need to bring it. Anyway, so far I've used a waterproof bicycle bag strapped to the pillion seat, but I need something bigger and preferably something I can just throw stuff into. A top box would fit my needs nicely. Yes I know, it affects handling and looks ugly. The ugly part doesn't bother me so much as it's behind me, but I'm a bit concerned about the handling.

I've had a look on the net and so far Kappa (the cheap Givi) and SHAD (uses a flash control so I can't link to model spesific page) are the contenders.

I like the flexibility of the Kappa system (it's almost a Givi remember), but the mounting seems to be extremely high up, and possibly far back - it's kinda hard to tell from the image.

The Shad seems to be mounted in a better postion and because it uses the grabrail mounings it has a shorter unsuspended arm and I suspect it sits tighter and won't break as easily from metal fatigue.

Has anyone tried Kappa or Shad, or would you recommend some other brand? I don't see myself fitting side boxes. It would be nice it the system allowed adding them later, but it's not important. The important thing is to get the box as low and far up front as possible.

regards
Frode
cortinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 02:35 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Not used either I'm afraid, I wouldn't worry about the weight much, it will affect the handling, but not hugely. Make sure you put what you normally would in it and set the preload up, as there will be more weight over the back. Do a search on here for how, it's been covered about a trillion times
Old 27-07-06, 02:47 PM   #3
Carsick

Also have a look at the SW-motech stuff. It's not cheap (neither is givi/kappa, though) but it's more discreet than the others.
Old 27-07-06, 03:15 PM   #4
Cronos

I suggest you send a PM to jonboy (the font of all knowledge when it comes to luggage). If memory serves me right, I'm pretty sure he's got a Kappa top box set up.
Old 27-07-06, 03:35 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

That SHAD rack looks way, way better than the Givi and Kappa ones.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 04:08 PM   #6
silent

whats your budget, there is a guy who sells givi quite cheap in my opinion:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/givi-luggage-t...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/givi-luggage-t...QQcmdZViewItem

im presuming its for a curvy...(or i just havent read it)

andy
Old 27-07-06, 10:26 PM   #7
stewart-250

That cheap Givi looks like the monolock system to me. Monolock is Givi's lightweight range designed for scooters, commuters etc. Monolock is cheaper than the more common monokey stuff so this will be what makes these ebay listings look such a bargain. Monolock and monokey boxes are not interchangeable as the mounting system is different. www.bykebitz.co.uk are one of the cheapest givi retailers I've seen (although I haven't dealt with them) so it would be worth checking them out if you're interested in a givi setup.

cheers

Stewart