SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-06, 07:06 PM   #1
paulthewitt

Default difference between a major and minor service

what is the difference between a minor and a major service?

a minor i guess is an oil + filter change, that can be done myself. a major i guess is best done at a garage?
Old 20-09-06, 07:20 PM   #2
neio79

The minor service ncludes things like the oil +oil filter change, spark plugs, level check, greased moving parts etc, and cable and chain checks. then intermidiate adds air filter. the major one changes everything + does the valve clerance once every 2 years . additionally every 2 years all fluids need replacing and at every 4 years the brake lines need replacing.

I have full dealer history but after seeing what they acyually do for the money, i will do my own service every 6 months (oil,oil filter,spark plugs, fluids, grease etc). I am also going to do my own brake pads. I would get replacement brake hoses of the stainless variety as well. additonally keep an eye on the chain and sproket's and replace as nessacery.

I will be doing all of that myself from now on as it will save a bomb from dealer prices, making sure i keep all recipts for when i come to sell. the only thing i will be getting the dealer to do from now on is the valve clerances every 2 years, as the rest is easy.

If you are not confident go and do a bike maintinance course at the local night school!
Old 20-09-06, 07:30 PM   #3
paulthewitt

thanks very much.

will do the minors myself, and get the major done at a garage. cheers
Paul
Old 21-09-06, 08:32 AM   #4
SVeeedy Gonzales

Get the Haynes manual - nothing in the minor or major services is tough if you have that. The only other thing you'll need is some basic tools and a few spare hours at a time. And at least you'll know it's been done properly, unlike with a dealer...
Old 21-09-06, 09:34 AM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79

I will be doing all of that myself from now on as it will save a bomb from dealer prices, making sure i keep all recipts for when i come to sell. the only thing i will be getting the dealer to do from now on is the valve clerances every 2 years, as the rest is easy.

If you are not confident go and do a bike maintinance course at the local night school!
What he said. I've gradually done more and more of my own work and now it's out of warranty, I'll do it all bar valve clearences. Eventually, I may even start doing that.
Old 21-09-06, 09:45 AM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

A Haynes manual is worth every penny if you're starting out. It's worth mentioning that most items are time & milage dependant, some biased more one way than the other. But valve clearances on the SV 650 are on the 15/16,000 mile service rather than just every 2 years, depends on the milage you do in a year.

Jambo
Old 21-09-06, 03:50 PM   #7
kwak zzr

my 7k is coming up and ive been quoted £130 for basicly an oil and filter
i'll do it myself AGAIN and put the £100 to my new tyres.
Old 23-09-06, 12:51 PM   #8
rob13

Mines had the 1st service and the 4k service done. Ive since done 1 myself with a filter change, cleaned k&n, inspected lubed cleaned etc. The bike is now coming up 3 years old and will need an MOT in November. Going to change the brake fluid this winter and possibly fit braided lines (see what i can get from the NEC)
Old 23-09-06, 04:45 PM   #9
gazman

I think I must have “MUG” wrote on my forehead, just had 7.5 K “service” done: new oil & filter, spark plugs & rear pads, not bad for 230 bucks & they didn’t even clean my air filter, bargain eh? (& I’ve even got a Haynes manual, so that makes me a double numnut)
Old 23-09-06, 06:00 PM   #10
kwak zzr

your not a MUG mate its just that dealer are out to charge you maximum hourly rate.