SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-10-06, 09:21 PM   #1
tricky

Default Book reccomendation

Currently reading "Goodbye to all that" by Robert Graves.
The book is Grave's autobiography written in 1929 and is a fascinating and surprising first hand account of the life in the trenches during the first world war.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed "Birdsong" or has the slightest interest in the history of that period.

Also if you enjoyed Birdsong I would also recommend Regeneration by Pat Barker, which is a much better book IMHO.
Old 25-10-06, 08:16 AM   #2
Steve H

tricky, I have an interest in the First World War. My reading therefore is primarily factual
- currently reading about the Bantam Battalions-made up of men 5' to 5'3" Fascinating stuff.
On the fictional side, and if you liked Birdsong, you should really try 'A Long Long Way' by Sebastian Barry. V. Good.
Old 25-10-06, 08:22 AM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Surely You Must Be Joking, Mr Feynmann? Is a good book. Its the memoirs of the worlds greatest scientist, Richard Feynmann. He worked on the Manhattan Project, you kno, the first nuclear weapon, and he did loads of other funny stuff. A good read, a really cool bloke.

Matt
Old 25-10-06, 08:36 AM   #4
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H
tricky, I have an interest in the First World War. My reading therefore is primarily factual
- currently reading about the Bantam Battalions-made up of men 5' to 5'3" Fascinating stuff.
On the fictional side, and if you liked Birdsong, you should really try 'A Long Long Way' by Sebastian Barry. V. Good.

Bought this just last week:

clickety-click

99% of my reading is also factual, I find I'm very critical of fiction, especially fiction that is based on something I know something about and to be honest I didn't think Birdsong was that good. (But makes for a good reference as a lot of people have read it)

Pat Barker does a better job with Regeneration and quite cleverly weaves fact and fiction together.
In her research she has obviously read "Goodbye to all that" as one or two of Grave's (who does feature in Regeneration) own experiences appear in the book but experienced by one of the fictional characters.
Old 25-10-06, 09:16 AM   #5
Steve H

I agree that Regeneration is superb. Will try the Robert Graves book.
I recently picked up my copy of The Bantams in a little book shop in Deal.
If you like 'Bantams', I don't know whether you have read 'The Old Contemptibles - BEF 1914.
As its in a similar vein.
Old 25-10-06, 10:53 AM   #6
Demonz

Just read the John Peel autobiog which was good. He was an interesting fellow although I get the feeling there was lots more to him that should have been in that book.

Also read Grishams The Broker (non-fiction) - utter rubbish ending to what started as a good book. The story and attention to detail just falls to bits at the end.

Stalingrad by Anthony Beever was a very good war read. As was First Light diaries of a Spitfire pilot in WWII by Geoffrey Wellum (great actually).
Old 25-10-06, 12:23 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Try George Orwell "Animal Farm" and "1984".Both fiction,but so relevant to the modern age despite being written sixty odd years ago.
1984 is specially good for younger people who are now growing up at a time when they will never have known anything other than the PC nanny state and our surveillance culture.
Animal Farm was more a jibe at Communism but gives great insight into human nature generally.
Old 25-10-06, 01:09 PM   #8
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
"Animal Farm" and "1984".Both fiction,but so relevant to the modern age despite being written sixty odd years ago.
Two of my faves
Old 25-10-06, 01:25 PM   #9
Steve H

For a true (albeit a lot of bravado) ripping yarn, you should check out
Papillon by Henri Charriere. As immortalised by Steve McQueen in the 1973 film.
Dare I say that the book is miles better than the film..Even though the
film is superb.
Old 25-10-06, 03:55 PM   #10
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Try George Orwell "Animal Farm" and "1984".Both fiction,but so relevant to the modern age despite being written sixty odd years ago.
1984 is specially good for younger people who are now growing up at a time when they will never have known anything other than the PC nanny state and our surveillance culture.
Animal Farm was more a jibe at Communism but gives great insight into human nature generally.
I remember that one from high school. Also read at that time Lord of the Flies by William Golding (related to that one well ) - the movie was pretty cool as well.