SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Would you give your time?
Yea, no worries 14 73.68%
Nope, hate the things! 1 5.26%
Circumstances permitting... 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-07, 02:32 PM   #1
Baph

Default pre-emptive question

OK folks,

Simple really, would you be prepared to give a few mins of your time? Please bare in mind that this is a good few months away yet.

Background: A mate of mine is preparing a questionnaire about risk assessments that he's hoping to target at bikers (for pretty obvious reasons). However, he doesn't ride himself (well, he does, but nothing with a motor - he's big on mountain biking). This questionnaire has the possibility to be given to insurance firms, the govt, etc etc. Answers could be influencial, however, they could also be completely disregarded.

I'm hoping to gauge numbers for him, but also increase his questions accuracy. This poll is designed for the first bit of that.

Also, would you be so good as to list what you would percieve as a risk/danger whilst out & about on the bike. Anything & everything you can think of would be great. I have my own thoughts, and have shared them with him already, but looking to get a wider opinion.

Also, what would make you more likely to fill in the questionnaire? I'm hoping to get an electronic version posted up on a website that would allow folks to just tick the boxes & hit submit. Something nice & simple.

Anyhow... answers/comments appreciated
Old 05-03-07, 03:22 PM   #2
Mogs

Default Re: pre-emptive question

What would make you more likely to fill in the questionnaire? I'm hoping to get an electronic version posted up on a website that would allow folks to just tick the boxes & hit submit. Something nice & simple.

The offering of a prize is the usual way to boost response rates, but this can bias the results if you are not careful. Explaining what the questionnaire is intended to achieve is a must. Keeping the questionnaire short is also essential. Try to use multiple choice closed questions eg Yes/No. V Good/Good/Bad/V Bad. Do not use many routed questions eg “If you answered Yes to Question 2 go to Question 9” This is OK if you are using electronic means only as the software can present the questions to the consultee according to already completed responses. Keep the questions in plain simple English. Don’t use too many words eg Road Traffic Accident when Crash is what you really mean. The consultee will switch off the moment they don’t understand a question.

Open questions are ok but can be difficult to analyse don’t do too many.

Would you be so good as to list what you would percieve as a risk/danger whilst out & about on the bike. Anything & everything you can think of would be great. I have my own thoughts, and have shared them with him already, but looking to get a wider opinion.

Road Conditions (Weather)
Road Condition (Maintenance and manholes etc)
Other moving road users
Children/Animals
Tiredness.
Old 05-03-07, 04:43 PM   #3
Fizzy Fish

sad i know but this is kindof what i do for a living. Happy to discuss approach & some questionnaire tips directly with your mate at some point via email/tel. It's important to get certain technical stuff right or govt/companies will just discount what he's found.

What's he trying to achieve by doing this btw?
Old 05-03-07, 04:45 PM   #4
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
OK folks,

Simple really, would you be prepared to give a few mins of your time? Please bare in mind that this is a good few months away yet.
yes
Old 05-03-07, 04:55 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Fish View Post
sad i know but this is kindof what i do for a living. Happy to discuss approach & some questionnaire tips directly with your mate at some point via email/tel. It's important to get certain technical stuff right or govt/companies will just discount what he's found.

What's he trying to achieve by doing this btw?
Cheers.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure what he's trying to achive as such. It's someone I went to school with & just happened to bump into on the commute home last week.

(I actually scared the crap out of him... MTB stunt rider, town centre, biker in high vis pulls up VERY suddenly next to him... apparently he thought about "doing one" but realised my bike would be faster than his )

I should be meeting him down the pub the next week or so for a catch up, which is why I decided to post about it now. That way I can start the ball rolling on this project for him. All I currently know is that he's doing it, but like I said, it's a few months away yet.
Old 05-03-07, 09:53 PM   #6
Law

Yep, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Also, would you be so good as to list what you would percieve as a risk/danger whilst out & about on the bike. Anything & everything you can think of would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Road Conditions (Weather)
Road Condition (Maintenance and manholes etc)
Other moving road users
Children/Animals
Tiredness.
What Mogs said,

other risks might be condition of bike (tyres, etc)
Tiredness expanded to state of mind.